Loricraft Record Cleaning

I've put off buying a record cleaning machine for years now, and doing it by hand is just getting old (So am I for that matter). Seems like everyone has an opinion on which machine is best, but nothing really negative on the Loricraft machines.

I'm looking for a used machine if possible, and if someone has one and is tired of cleaning records period, let me know. If you can point me to a solution or have a reason why I'm completely out in left field, that's helpful as well.

Thanks for the input!
Paul
pkubica
Rfogel8: On the lower end Smart Double Matrix, they put a mirror below the record so you can see the other side with a little side lighting while it cleans. And you don't have to worry about too much vaccuming (more than 2 spins on a VPI generates a lot of static, whereas the Smart Double Matrix has the the grounded carbon brushes to remove the static after vacuuming.
Cytocycle, I've been going to CES for many years and always make it a point to check out all the toys in the Musical Surroundings rooms. This year I again looked at the Double Matrix while chatting with one of Garth's reps. I specifically asked him about the carbon brush you mention and also got current pricing.

Even though there's a mirror and light, it's still difficult to clearly see what's going on. Besides, you're going from $3600 for the standard Matrix, which is a killer machine, to $5200 for the Double Matrix. I'm not so lazy that I can't clean one side at a time plus I'd rather take that extra $1600 and spend it on vinyl.

As for the carbon brush, I really don't see the need. I've had my Matrix 5 or 6 years and NEVER had a problem with static after cleaning a record. Neither have any of my three friends who own the same machine.

All these little add-ons and so called improvements do nothing to make your records any cleaner but they certainly give Clearaudio another excuse to raise their prices which they frequently do.

Rfogel8: I agree the prices are nuts now, the Clearaudio's don't have as big of a static problem because of the vaccuum pad is microfiber instead of the felt on the VPI. I keep mentioning the static issue because it was a HUGE problem for me at my house and using a carbon brush to dust my album on the turntable required a zerostat hit...
Yeah the prices went up so I went with the less expensive Smart version because I couldn't afford the smart Matrix.

I only mentioned the anti-static stuff because it was one of the reasons I was looking at buying the Loricraft because of they don't generate static when they vaccuum, I was considering the Loricraft prior and decided on the Clearaudio because I didn't want to do the string spool mod, plus I talked with a bunch of owners and you really need to step up to the 4 model to get the stronger pump to get a completely dry record as the base model sometimes
missed sections.

The other RCM I considered that was cheaper than the Clearaudio was the Hannl, but that was really hard to find in the US.
Cytocycle, I live in Michigan and have a forced air furnace with a flow through humidifier yet the air still gets pretty dry in the winter. Even so, I have no static problems with "cleaned" records. If you're wearing shoes around the house, particularly with rubber soles, I don't care where you live, you'll have problems.

I've heard that some carbon fiber brushes will cause static build-up and while I occasionally use one I really don't notice problems in that area either.

You might want to play around a bit with the ground wires to your table, arm and phono stage. Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere or at least part of the problem.
I appreciate the info, especially on the Clearaudio. It also looks like a very good machine.

For those who are using it... is there any problem transferring crud from one record to another. It would seem like they have some type of "lips" that must touch the surface of the record and as a result, must touch the dirty solution that's on the record surface. Is it a constant cleaning chore? How well does all this work on the lower end "Smart Matrix"?

It would seem that the thread keeps the loricraft head out of the dirty solution... or is there a cleaning issue as well.

Crem1: Thanks for your input on Steam Cleaning. It may be a good "In addition" to a RCM. The problem for me is that I'm an engineer, and run a production company. All day long, everything is a process. When I finally get home, and on the weekends, I'm not looking for another (process) job. I want to relax and listen to some good music. Cleaning the record is necessary, and I don't want to make it an activity unto itself, or a search for the "Holy Grail". I want to do the best I can with the least mess, fuss and noise.

Rfogel8: My condolences on the forced-air furnace issue. I live in Florida on the ocean... no furnace issues and with our humidity, no blue-arc's coming off my fingers as I grab a doorknob.

Cytocycle: I'll also take a look at the Hannl RCM.

Thanks to all!
Paul