Why vinyl?

Here are couple of short articles to read before responding.

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/commentary/listeningpost/2007/10/listeningpost_1029

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature-read.aspx?id=755

Vinylheads will jump on this, but hopefully some digital aficionados will also chime in.
ojgalli
Kthomas,
I agree we do get caught up in the format thing, this is the Analog fourm after all.
I also agree that finding new music and talking about what's out and even discussing older music with younger listeners (especialy family) is so enjoyable.
So what if their interest is not audiophile - it's still music.
It's the same as before digital. Some go the extra and get into audio as a hobby - some don't. If not it doesn't mean they don't enjoy music.

I think the concern with us audiophiles is the possible loss of the better formats due to "hype" and convenience.

My family takes listening a little further. My brother and I were in a band years ago, now we play in the family band. At family functions we play, myself on drums and/or keyboard, my brother and two nephews with guitars (one nephew also plays drums).
Now that's fun.
I wonder how many members in Analog forum buy new LPs in regular basis, maybe more than 20 a year?
I have about 600 LPs, and all but about 5 are bought used. I paid $10~25 for those new LPs, all reissues from originals.
Are you (we?) into vinyl enough to pay $20+ each? Or, are majority in this forum just happy to listen to 60~70's recordings?
I just wonder whether much of the reason of LP's coming back is that there are still many used (cheap and in good sound quality) LPs around.
What if there were not much good used (cheap) LPs available and all have to pay $20+ for each LP? Would vinly still be as popular as in today?
Ihcho, it may or may not make you feel better, but the cost of new vinyl in the '70's--$8.99 to $11.99 for Classical on major labels--probably gets very close to $30 in today's money. Inflation calculator anyone? : )
Ihcho,

Just too assure, if vinyl was to regain popularity as it did in the 60's-70's the price of new vinyl would drop closer to the $15.00 range based on volume sale alone. This would put it inline with CD sales and priced competitively among other recorded media products. But I think most vinyl lovers will keep buying vinyl even if used bins dried up (not likely to happen) but of course the pace would slow down.

Part of the fun is getting used vinyl cheap but I think for most of us it's still about how the LP's sound.
I'm curious, does anyone (who was around at the time) believe that $8.99 equals $30.99, regardless of what an academic estimate of money is?

It doesn't seem the same to me at all, and I used to buy a lot of records. Let's not deal with the 1980s LP inflation due to the cost they wanted to ring out of us as they introduced the cash-cow CD format...

Gregg