Is setting VTF on Graham Phantom fussy?

Please let me explain my question,referring to this wonderful sounding arm......
I have a 2.2,and my friend has the Phantom.I find that our cartridge(Orpheus) VTF requires a "slight" adjustment in VTF once in a while.Actually we both find the benefit of re-setting VTF about once a week(or more often if we feel like being picky).
My concern with the Phantom,which I have good experience with,I "think"(in my friend's system,as I have been his set-up guy for awhile)is that it seems to be much more difficult to set the VTF,without having it's bearing block shift,causing the arm to pull(off it's rest,or the VTF guage),and making re-checking of VTF a real pain in the tush,as compared to the simple,and reliable way it can be "instantly" done on the 2.2!
Maybe I am not familiar with the ergonomic aspects of the Phantom,which "ownership" allows one to get a handle on,but I am seriously interested in moving towards purchasing a Phantom,in a few months,and want to know if this is a problem with my friend's arm,or my approach to an arm I am not as familiar with,as my 2.2.I hope the latter!
As of now,when I want to adjust VTF on my 2.2,I hold the bearing block steady,with my left hand,and twist the counterweight knob with my right hand.I DO move the arm to the "rest" position when doing this.
Whenever I do this with my friend's Phantom,the bearing block "shifts" and requires a repositioning,to realign the pivot/magnaglide.This "then" causes the arm to shift/slide,as though it was sliding on "ice".It seems to be finicky about getting it aligned again,and requires it being "re-centered with the bottom plate",and sometimes pulled up/pushed down on.NOT confidence building!I hope the problem is my technique!!
There is none of this with the 2.2,but my friend claims that the arm does not have to return to rest,with the Phantom,when adjusting VTF,and keeping the arm,just over the downforce scale while making the VTF adjustment will not cause this shifting action,of the pivot.He did not demonstrate this to me,very well,and I am concerned.
I am VERY interested in acquiring this product(among one or two others),and would love some feedback from owners who,hopefully,can tell me that my approach,on the Phantom is wrong.
Thanks in advance.
sirspeedy
Sirspeedy,

What, if anything, is the issue with arms with the older magnetic stabilization device? I am just curious because a friend has a Phantom bought somewhere around five months or so ago.

We have tried it with several different cartridges -- Lyra Titan, Transfiguration Phoenix and the Orpheus. I have also heard the Orpheus in a Vector Arm in two systems (including my own system) and in an SME 309 with upgraded bearings, dampening trough, etc. The Orpheus sounded good in all of the setups. It did not strike me as being particularly fussy about VTF, but, I did not do a lot of auditioning at different settings (a big p-i-t-a with my Vector arm). The one "objective" test of tracking ability (using the Shure V test record) showed that the Orpheus tracked much better in the SME arm than either the Vector or Phantom. This is a torture test so I don't give the result much significance when it comes to regular music (I use that test to set antiskating).
Larryi,Bob mentioned that the newer arms have more powerful magnets.I don't think the Orpheus is fussy about VTF,anymore than other designs,but VTF IS a significant aspect of top flight performance.Even with my friend's adjustment hassles,the arm has fabulous performance.I have NEVER heard my Mercury pressings "traced" so well.
I haven't tried any test records on my friend's Phantom,other than the antiskate,which is "then" ultimately voiced by ear.The Phantom definitely tracks better than my 2.2.HATE to admit to it,but it does a much better job of this.
The main reason I can now state this is because I now have an Orpheus(still my 2.2)and my friend,with the Phantom,has an Orpheus too.When we play my discs,I can clearly hear the difference.It was more of an assumption when I had my Temper-V.
Looks like my recored flattener accessory is taking a back seat,as I have started my "Phantom fund".-:)
I've used the Orpheus in 4 high end arms and in those applications the best tracking occurred between 1.95g and 1.99g.

Anti-skating compensation for day to day (optimum) listening was somewhat less than the amount needed to track the HiFi Test Record.

YMMV

Disclaimer: retailer
Hello Sirspeedy:

How are you? I just returned from extended trips to AZ and FL, sorry for the delay in responding to your inquiry on my virtual page. Do you know the starting serial number of the Phantom with the upgraded magnet? I spoke to Mr. Graham some time late last year and he indicated that the magnet had changed from a pointed to a flat configuration. He implied that this led to better arm stabilization (If you look at the original picture of the arm on his site you will note that the magnet is pointed). Is this the upgrade?
I just checked and the picture on the Graham site now shows the upgraded magnet (flat face). However, if you click on the Stereophile review link, you will see a picture of the older version arm with the pointed magnet.