Is setting VTF on Graham Phantom fussy?

Please let me explain my question,referring to this wonderful sounding arm......
I have a 2.2,and my friend has the Phantom.I find that our cartridge(Orpheus) VTF requires a "slight" adjustment in VTF once in a while.Actually we both find the benefit of re-setting VTF about once a week(or more often if we feel like being picky).
My concern with the Phantom,which I have good experience with,I "think"(in my friend's system,as I have been his set-up guy for awhile)is that it seems to be much more difficult to set the VTF,without having it's bearing block shift,causing the arm to pull(off it's rest,or the VTF guage),and making re-checking of VTF a real pain in the tush,as compared to the simple,and reliable way it can be "instantly" done on the 2.2!
Maybe I am not familiar with the ergonomic aspects of the Phantom,which "ownership" allows one to get a handle on,but I am seriously interested in moving towards purchasing a Phantom,in a few months,and want to know if this is a problem with my friend's arm,or my approach to an arm I am not as familiar with,as my 2.2.I hope the latter!
As of now,when I want to adjust VTF on my 2.2,I hold the bearing block steady,with my left hand,and twist the counterweight knob with my right hand.I DO move the arm to the "rest" position when doing this.
Whenever I do this with my friend's Phantom,the bearing block "shifts" and requires a repositioning,to realign the pivot/magnaglide.This "then" causes the arm to shift/slide,as though it was sliding on "ice".It seems to be finicky about getting it aligned again,and requires it being "re-centered with the bottom plate",and sometimes pulled up/pushed down on.NOT confidence building!I hope the problem is my technique!!
There is none of this with the 2.2,but my friend claims that the arm does not have to return to rest,with the Phantom,when adjusting VTF,and keeping the arm,just over the downforce scale while making the VTF adjustment will not cause this shifting action,of the pivot.He did not demonstrate this to me,very well,and I am concerned.
I am VERY interested in acquiring this product(among one or two others),and would love some feedback from owners who,hopefully,can tell me that my approach,on the Phantom is wrong.
Thanks in advance.
sirspeedy
I have a Phantom and noted the bearing shift you described, but only when I moved the table from my dealer's. He set VTF at the recommended 1.85g for my Audioquest AQ7000Fe5 cartridge, but when I got it home I noted that it would not track highly modulated tracks. So I checked it and VTF had fallen to 1.5g. I just locked the arm down and reset it to 1.85g, where it has resided since. So I did not experience the shifting you noted. One question, though. I bought my original Phantom about a year ago and then upgraded the bearing to a sharper bearing point. I think all Phantoms use this sharper bearing now. Do you have this sharper bearing? You might want to check with your dealer or Graham. Perhaps this could be the issue. Graham did not have the Phantom out long before using the upgraded bearing.
I never have had that experience with my new Phantom. it feels as almost solid as gimbal arms. The only time that the pivot block shifts is that when the top cap is being removed to add/check damping fluid...but that is inevitable.
Never had this "Problem", I agree with Jaytea.
When you screw the top cap, move the arm to the spindle, after that it is in its Bearing 100%
Thanks for the input.I think there may be a problem with the actual arm(in my friend's set-up).This has NOTHING to do with undoing the top-cap.If I so much as breathe on the arm,when altering the "back" adjustment for VTF,it shifts out of position.I am "specifically" talking about the times one has to hold the arm steady,while twisting(very carefully,and I am extremely delicate and careful)the back VTF dial.
We'll see how this shakes out!
Thanks.
I just got off the phone with Bob Graham(super nice guy,btw).He indicated that my friend's arm has the old magnet system,and that this issue is non-existent with arms coming out in the last few months.It is really NO big deal,and I am totally satisfied with his response.
BTW,Thomas...you seem to have been absolutely correct,in that there definitely seems to be a more stable,solid,less edgy sound with the Phantom,over the 2.2.I'm going to start saving my pennies!
Thanks to those concerned Audiogners!