Tri-Planar with no anti-skate?

On a hunch I removed the AS weight entirely from my new TP 7 (Merrill table & Ortofon Kont H cart).

The sound improved to an astounding degree: tons more body, much more solid imaging.

Certainly, I must not have had the anti-skate optimally adjusted, I am curious if others prefer it this way too.
paulfolbrecht
I have a question.I really mean it to be proposed as such,and am in no way trying to undermine any previous thoughts.
If we set(as I do)VTF...shouldn't antiskate be employeed,along with the VTF adjustment?
Doesn't setting antiskate, seperately from VTF, change the VTF value,necessitating an aditional re-check of VTF?
Very possible my own arm,and the one I am considering getting,work differently here.
Thanks, Doug. Sirspeedy, you must live in the DC metro area, as I do. I too was a longtime friend of Herb Papier's, and my experience of him was much the same as yours, i.e., a great guy. I met Tri Mai at Herb's house, when I went there to have Herb upgrade my Triplanar to a Mk VII. Tri was learning how to make the product at Herb's side.

Sorry for the off-topic blather.
I love the triplanar arm. Along the same line, has anyone use no damping fluid at all?

Thanks

Newbee to vinyl
The TriPlanar has no A/S scale because Herb Papier understood that different cartridges track differently and that different records act differently. This makes any A/S scale arbitrary and essentially useless.

Still, a scale gives a visual marker that makes it easier to use and easier to return to a setting. Making physical adjustments in tiny increments can benefit from visual reference points. The fact that different cartridges track differently does nothing to reduce the value of knowing relative adjustment position. :-)

Tim
Doug - thanks for the tips. I had seen your advice in old thread but largely forgot about it. I will certainly go re-read them.

Am at RMAF enjoying myself this weekend. Great show. I must say that I think that we (Norvinz/Consonance) have some of the best sound of the show. Lots of other good stuff as well (and, as always, lots of stinkers as too).

Paul
Norvinz FR