Rega spindle too short

I have a Rega Planar II and I have recently upgraded the platter to an Iron Audio acrylic platter. The table sounds great, it seems to have a more refined and deeper soundstage. The only problem, if it is even a problem, the spindle from the subplatter only sticks out about 3/8" and after I put the mat on I only have about 3/16" above the record. I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this and if so is there an upgradable sub platter with a longer spindle? Thanks in advance.
jasonh37
The Rega spindles were a little short to begin with. If the new platter is thicker than the original platter, then yes, you will be left with virtually no spindle sticking up. If the record can centered and you're not going to use a clamp, it should not be a problem.

Congrats on your new platter. Are you still using the felt mat on top? Try removing the felt mat and see if you like the sound. YMMV
with a vinyl platter you should not use the felt mat. That may help a little with spindle height, and in my experience more than a little in sound quality. As piedpiper says, shouldn't be an issue if you don't intend to use a clamp.
BDgregory would be correct, however the Iron Audio acrylic platter does not have a LABEL recess machined into the top surface so if you do not use a mat of any sort, the record will not sit flush with the playing surface. Iron Audio recommends the use of a mat.
I am still using the felt mat,it is rather thick, I have been looking for a new one, any ideas? I laid a record directly on the platter today, but as Frank said, since the platter does not have a recess for the lable the record does not lay flat.
however the Iron Audio acrylic platter does not have a LABEL recess machined into the top surface so if you do not use a mat of any sort, the record will not sit flush with the playing surface. Iron Audio recommends the use of a mat.
bummer. The problem with going to another thinner mat is it may not provide adequate label relief. Other mats like the Sorbogel. Acromat, or Ringmat are thicker (I think) so will compound the problem. I recall seeing somewhere a replacement spindle for Regas that are longer to accommodate a a thick acrylic platter. I'm not sure where to find one or what they cost, but I would imagine they're pricey.

The options I see for you are 1) buy the extended spindle, or 2) scrap the IA acrylic platter in favor of a Funk Acroplat, or 3) try a thinner felt mat, or 4) live with the mat you have.

Personally, I would buy the funk acroplat.