Opinions please

Which is your preferred Record cleaning machine?
I am considering the SOTA, VPI 16.5, and the Clearaudio Smart Matrix. I would love a Loricraft but the price is prohibitive.I am also interested in cleaning fluids being used. I live in the high desert and static is a major issue.
TIA
Mike
mcdonald43
No hand comes close to the Result from a Loricraft or Keith Monks RCM. Save money, you will get a long time Satisfaction.
Narrod; if you ALREADY HAVE a RCM, by all means...knock yourself out. However, if the decision is one between a RCM machine and hand-washing, the only advantage a RCM give you is convenience and time savings. If that's of value than that's the solution, if you have the time, wash it by hand.

Thomas; "No hand comes close..." I don't belive that.
You don't mention the Nitty Gritty machine, so I thought I'd make a few comments on it after using a 2.5fi for more than 12 years.

* The vacuum is LOUD. I use earplugs or my Etymotics when I'm running the vacuum.

* I'm using the two RRL fluids, so I don't use fluid injection. Who knows what gunk builds up in the tank, anyway. And mine leaks.

* Got a very off-center record? Forgedaboutit.

* You will need to replace the felt lips and the rubber capstan now and then, but it's pretty easy.

Aside from the leaking tank, the vacuum and motor on mine are still working fine after more than about 12 years.

Looking at the prices now, I'm not sure the Nitty Gritty is still competitive. But I don't have any experience with the VPI machines to compare it to.
VPI 16.5 owner for 6 years...not one problem...retail is 499, but they sell a "package" for a few dollars more thats a great value..inner sleeves, cleaning fluids... i also use record research labs products...other nice feature is the ability to adapt to clean 45s...im not sure if other brands offer this...as for static, i use the zerostat milty gun...it works...for example if i dry brush a record while its is on top of a plastic inner sleeve, then pick up the record, it usually sticks like glue to the sleeve from static. with the Gun, a few squeezes of the trigger and the record comes away freely from the sleeve.
If you do not have a big collections (100 or so records), you can use the manual procedure.

But If you have a bigger collection than that, you only need the VPI 16.5 its very sufficient and an excellnt RCM.
Now If you want you can put in more money but every RCM will do the same work but for more money.

Now I woud suggest that you invest a spare brush and vaccum tube for the VPI and use the Disc Doctor silution and follow their procedure. I have over 5000 records, LP's and 78's. I have used multiple RCM's from different brands but have found that the 16.5 does the same thing as the rest but for less money.

I hope this will be helpful