general tonearm design question

Many popular tonearms are designed with with the fulcrum for the vertical axis at ~70 degrees (e.g. Rega, SME), rather than perpendicular (e.g Origin Live).

Doesn't the former design cause the needle to track to the outer groove as the counter weight swings downward?

...or does the cartidge/tube somehow counter this?

Would a counter weight mounted at 90 degrees to the fulcrum, yet the arm tube set at 70 degrees be the solution to this, or am I wrong?

(The reason I started wondering about this was due to the varous Rega counter-weight mods. I would think that a lower center of gravity would exacerbate this problem. Furthermore, wouldn't a lower center of gravity only be effective on a uni-pivot design?)

your thoughts?
128x128popluhv
The lower (than the vertical bearing) CG gives an arm more stability when tracking warped records. The angle of the vertical bearing is not necessarily 70 degrees but is set to match the headshell's angle to the armwand. This insures that when the arm (actually the stylus/cartridge) move up and down when (again) tracking warped records, that the azimuth of the stulus remains vertical to the record. If the bearing were perpendicular to the arm and the headshell angled, then (looking at the stylus head-on) the stylus would describe an arc as it rose up. (Was that as clear as mud?! ;--)
Nsgarch is correct on all counts (except the mud). Here's an example I often use which seems to help people visualize the stylus azimuth conditions he described.

Sit in a desk chair or rocking chair that can tilt fore and aft. Face directly forward. Extend one leg out in front so your lower leg descends to the floor at an acute angle, with your heel resting on the floor.

Holding your leg in that position, rock the chair back and forth while watching the arc described by your heel. If you're facing directly forward (perpendicular to the chair's axis of rotation) the heel moves straight vertically up into the air and back down.

Your heel is the stylus, your lower leg is the cantilever, the chair is the tonearm. When the tonearm's axis of vertical rotation is perpendicular to the cantilever, vertical arm rotations (as over warps) do not change the azimuth of the stylus.

Now scootch yourself around so you're sitting at a 20-25 degree angle to the chair. Extend your leg again and rock the chair as before. Observe the change in angle between your heel (stylus) and the ground (record). The sides of your "stylus" no longer remain vertical.

When the arm's axis of rotation is not perpendicular to the cantilever, the stylus moves through an arc and its azimuth changes relative to the record. This is the case on all tonearms with offset headshells whose vertical bearings are not offset at the same angle.

When azimuth alters with every change between record surface height and arm height (as over warps or with different VTA settings) the results will include variable crosstalk, muddy imaging and potentially uneven record and stylus wear.

Why build an arm with the vertical bearing axis perpendicular to the armtube rather than the cantilever? Because it's cheaper to design and machine at right angles. The design is inherently flawed, but when building to a price point manufacturers must make compromises. This is one they sometimes choose.
Both responses are superb,but I feel a sense of obligation to like Doug's better! -:)
Best!
Nsgarch and Dougdeacon both give great answers here, and I agree that having the vertical bearing axis perpendicular to the armtube rather than the cantilever is a flawed design.

Here's the part I don't understand. Go to Origin Live's Web site here:

http://www.tonearm.co.uk/index.htm

and scroll down a bit. There's a top view view of all the OL tonearms. Except for the least expensive model (an unmodified Rega RB250) all of their arms have the vertical bearing axis perpendicular to the armtube, not the cantilever. Their most expensive arm is something like $5-6K, so building at right angles shouldn't be needed for hitting the price point. I'm guessing they think the design affords some advantage, but I can't see what that might be. I'm puzzled.

David
David, I can't explain OL's design, it doesn't make sense to me. Maybe Doug has some thoughts. . . . . .

I mean one can always make excuses like: if a record is sooo warped that if the height variation (from flat) would significantly throw the azimuth off, you couldn't play the record anyway, etc., etc. But I put my trust in the wisdom of the designers like SME and others. I'm not really sure what happens to unipivot arms when the stylus hits a bump. Anyone?