DJ Cartridges - have you tried it?

Hi there,

I browsed some DJ cartridges yesterday. They look real appealing and the price aint bad either. What do you think of the infamous DJ cartridge? Good or bad or should it be banned? I want to buy a cheapie just to see how it performs... something like an Ortofon Concord...

DV
dewald_visser
I found this thread while searching for information about another cartridge.

I know a lot of you will roll your eyes but a DJ Cartridge can make good music in a non club environment. At least it did for me. I have tried a Technics EPC-U1200 DJ cartridge that I got from Japan and paired it up with a re-built Technics 1200 Mk 2. The phono preamp I was using was the phono section of an Accuphase C200. With all sorts of rock, alternative and electronic music I tried with the EPC-U1200 it all sounded really good. I would say I got 80% of the sonic performance of a Denon DL-110 cart for under $40. YMMV but with my system the Technics DJ cart wasn't bad at all.
In most analog systems you won't hear a big difference anyway. They are great for the majority of listeners who do not care.
I have a KAB modded Stanton Trackmaster. It is an integrated headshell cartridge w/ a NOS Stereohedron stylus. It's a big reality check as to what makes up a cartridge. This thing is superb and has the midrange of a $1500 moving coil.
Psychicanimal

On my KAB 12XX, damper, yadda, I use the Trackmaster when I have to bring it on the road. In a proper system it will bring me at least 90% of my VPI Traveler/Ortofon 2m Black.