Cartridge upgrade for SME 20/2A???

Okay, it's almost time for a cartridge upgrade for my SME 20/2A (with SME 4.5 arm). Currently I am using a Dynavector 17d mkII and though it sounds pretty good, I'm also pretty sure that the cartridge - along with the phono interconnect - is a limiting factor. Any thoughts that you guys/girls might have would be most appreciated, including information as to the compatability of the SME arm with certain types of cartridges. I'm not even sure of budget yet, though I realize I will have to spend at least double the amount of the 17d mkII to get a real improvement.
esoxhntr
You were not specific about the type of sound you like such as very warm (Koetsu) or very open anc clear (Lyra). I have the same table with a Phantom arm and love the sound with a Lyra Titan. This is a very non colored sound which is very detailed and smooth. This is what I like. Other friends prefer the warmer sound of a Koetsu. I have not used other brands of cartridges for many years now so I can't comment on them. If you are purchasing an expensive cartridge then you should go to several dealers and listen to the various products out there. Trust your ears more than the opinions of others. Good luck!
Lyra would be very good, Try the Skala if you can get it. The titan is good, pricy but good.

Lyra Skala is amazing for the price.
Well, the winner is a Dynavector XV-1. I got a chance to hear almst all of the mentioned cartridges (never could track down a ZYX), and though all were very, VERY good, in the end I preferred the tonal balance of Dynavectors. The ultimate nail in the coffin was Raul (many thanks for that Raul) pointing me in the direction of a killer deal on an XV-1. I spent a couple of hours setting the thing up last night, and while I am sure it's not perfect, it is close, and is a marked improvement over the 17DmkII. I did in fact get eveything I wanted - slightly firmer bass, better resolution, and a bit more output. Also, things are a little smoother up top.

In all fairness, I have gained a new appreciation for the abilities of the 17DmkII, it really does an outstanding job for it's price. But I certainly don't regret selling it to upgrade ;-)
I have a Dyna karat 17 D2 MK II, and is a good cartrigde, but the top Dyna XV-1S is the real match for a sme 20/2 be sure.
Shade of pale, (cool I.D. by the by :)

Yes, probably the XV-1S is a better cartridge, but I got a really good deal on an XV-1, and was not prepared to spend about double for a new XV-1S. And make no mistake, the XV-1 is a very competent pickup, and I am thrilled with it. And, considering the deal, and the savings I can now start to think about a record cleaning machine. Which leads me to...

Cipherjuris,

I would certainly like to fire off a number of questions about the Loricraft in the not too distant future, if that is okay by you. I would also be more than pleased to hear from any other record cleaner owner/operators. The more advice the better!