Brinkman Balance Comparisons

For those who have the Brinkman or compared it to others please chime in. How does it compare to the Avid, TW Raven AC and SME 30? I heard the Raven AC has been compared to the Brinkman in Germany extensively. any thoughts? Also, how critical is a good support stand to achieve it's perfromance?

Thanks for your help,

Andrew
aoliviero
David,

when I had a Scheu turntable years ago, I asked Mr. Scheu to make a lot of variations. One of the variations was a Delrin (or POM) platter. This is the black material the TW-Akustik is made from now. Delrin sounds different from acrylic. While acrylic has a sparkling top end, transparent mids and a well textured but sometimes lean bass, Delrin has a bit muted top end, good midrange, and powerful bass. These are not big differences, just tendencies. Think of good solid state electronics vs. good tube electronics. In the end I preferred the acrylic one, because of the openness of sound, but friends of mine have Delrin platters in satisfying configurations, which I like too. I cannot predict on the use of copper mats on Delrin platters, though.

Mind that I was comparing only platters, on same bearings and with same tonearms and MC cartridges.

When it comes to Scheu vs. TW-Akustik, this is a lot more complicated, as Mr Woschnik uses a state of the art motor design and an elaborated bearing design. So it is a comparison of complete turntables. On the other hand, Scheu turntables are in a different price league.

best regards,
Hartmut
Hartmut

Thank you for your response. You explanation on the difference in sound between acrylic and delrin has been helpful. I have the same observation as you in relation to the acrylic type of sound but do not have the opportunity on the delrin.

At this point in time, my preference is with the Raven One. In terms of pricing, it is very close to the Scheu DL2 flagship.
I had some discussion with Mr Woschnik of TW-Akustik today, and he rightly points out, that Delrin is kind of a composite material, which can be tailored a lot choosing the ingredients. It is very unlikely that he uses exactly the same plastic variation like used in the Scheu Delrin platter. So any assumption on the sound of TW-Akustik turntables based on the comparison of Scheu acrylic and Delrin platters is just a guess.

Also I want to point out, that I did not have a proper listening to TW-Akustik turntables to date.

I would like to have a Raven One myself for testing for www.TNT-audio.com, and already asked Mr Woschnik for a review sample. If the Raven One at 3000 bucks is 90 percent the sound quality of the big TW-Akustik turntables, it might be a best buy.

Scheu and TW-Akustik are both examples of turntable issues implemented right. I had a lot experiences with Scheu turntables, but still have a lot to learn with TW-Akustik.

best regards, Hartmut
Rick (RWD)

Do you have any update on how the Raven AC sounds after a month of having it? Many thanks.