DIN or RCA phono plug--which is 'better'?

I'm wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages of each termination. To start, it looks like the DIN would be harder to clean. Is DIN inherently superior?
psychicanimal
Jonathan, if the TA connectors we're used to seeing on SME's for instance, aren't real DINs, then what does DIN stand for in that instance, or is it a misuse of the term?
Thanks
There are many different DIN connectors.

The RCA connector is inherently flawed in that there is no standard i.e. there is no guarantee that a given male will mate snugly with a given female, always a bad thing. There are other connectors that are much better, such as DIN and XLR, but we seem to be stuck with the RCA for single ended equipment. Some manufacturers such as Naim tried to get away from them but it never really caught on. Now Naim equipment comes with DIN and RCA connections.
Thanks, guys. I am asking because KAB has finished DIN
& RCA terminal prototypes for the Technics 1200's tonearm. Can choose either one for my deck. Kevin is offering Cardas Litz for the tonearm rewire, seems the Creature is getting to where it should be...at last!

Next is choosing the phono cable. What a mess!!!!

Nsgarch:

I have not been able to find mention of any such connector in either the DIN or JIS standards. Ditto according to my manufacturing sources in Japan (who just call it "tonearm connector").

I believe that it is a misuse of the term. Probably one of those cases where someone calls an item by the wrong name, no qualified individual is available to contest the misinformation, and it spreads into general use. Not so uncommon on the internet.

regards and hth, jonathan carr
Jonathan whatever the cause, please don't blame the internet -- the SME factory has been calling them DIN plugs since 1990 (and probably before):

"The high quality linear crystal oxygen-free copper audio lead selected for its electrical and mechanical characteristics is terminated at one end with SME right-angle 5-pole DIN contra-plug and gold-plated phono plugs at the other."

One would think that in over 16 years, someone would have called them on it, no? Seems weird to me. Also (checking Google) there is no shortage of both manufacturers and distributors of this item who are gleefully referring to it the same way as SME. Surely the DIN people would have made them cease and desist by now, if it were untrue. Are we talking about the same thing?