Best affordable phono preamp?

what's the best phono pre, having to stay within 5000 dollars?
In my system itll' have to match LEctor cdp7, ARC Classic30+LS2
enrico126
Hi Wdi: It was George Wright's "Wright Sound" unit that I was referring to. I haven't heard it, but it seems to get rave reviews consistently over at vinyl asylum. There are a number of posters there whose opinions I value and trust; if I was thinking of upgrading my phono stage, that one would probably be at the top of my list.
cincy bob, Sorry about the delay in replying. I have heard or auditioned the following, although the system has changed over time.
Tom Evans Microgroove+
Tom Evans Groove(short period)
Trichord Delphini
Clearaudio Reference
EAR 834 (borrowed)
I would definitely stay with the following:

* The Art Audio, and by inference Kevin Carter's K&K design
* Hagerman Trumpet
* Artemis Labs PH-1 and PL-1
* Nick Doshi's RIAA.

I just returned from a road trip and heard Dan_Ed's system - with his new Doshi unit. This is the first phono stage to give my Artemis a run for the money.

An associate at Azzolina Audio is having great success with the Kevin Carter design and I trust his ears - hence the recommendation.

Of course, the Hagerman Trumpet rounds out the mix. You can't go wrong with any of these.

I have never achieved good results with Aesthetix or Tom Evan's gear. As always, YMMV.

The Wright gear is tonally very nice and extremely consonant with the music, but they're a bit on the noisy side compared with the above gear.

If you "drop down" to the level of the Wright, then I'd seriously look at the Hagerman Coronet and the EAR.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier