Little red gun next to turntable.

It seems like all the pictures of turntables in the systems forum have this little red gun next to the table.

I'm about to receive my turntable this week.

I better get one of those guns.

What is it??
pawlowski6132
I have a Zerostat and a Nagaoka Kilavolt No.103. It says right on it, "Be Careful not to discharge the beam on a human body".
How's that for scary?
Does anybody know anything about this device. I've had it for about a third of a century and don't even remember how it came into my possession. It runs on a single "C" cell.
I am sure there are instructions that come with the Zerostat, but I have had mine for at least 20 years and have no idea where they might be. I also have seldom used the Zerostat as both Texas and Florida are very humid and little if any static electricity.

As I recall, however, I put the record on the turntable and held the Zerostat at the far side from the tonearm at about two inches from the record. This was when I live on Long Island.

I must say that I recent heard the benefits of the Walker Talisman magnet on my records. Static electricity or not, it greatly improved the clarity of the lps. It is a new product from Walker Audio. I also found my Zerostat and tried it once again. It did nothing.
I have a relatively new zerostat which I occasionally try on records that come out of the sleeve with a lot of static.

Generally, it has very little effect, and frankly I wouldn't bother if I didn't already have one (and hope didn't spring eternal). A carbon fiber brushing and then a lightly wet Discwasher pass are WAY more effective.

re: Carbon Fiber brushes. IMO the Hunt EDA or Goldring Exstatic, which have a conventional pad seperating the two rows of carbon, are way more effective than the simple cheapos. The main reason is that the pad sitting behind the carbon acts as support as you sweep the record, so the soft carbon fibers "stand up" and carry the dirt better.

Also note that I mentioned a damp Discwasher pass AFTER the carbon fiber. This is because NO dry brush of any type can actually remove all the smallest "microdust" particles. (And this is the most damaging type of dirt to your lp's because it's small enough to sit INSIDE the grooves and act as an abrasive.) All Carbon fiber brushes leave a significant amount of this stuff behind. You absolutely need a lightly damped pad following the carbon.

BTW - You can modify a standard Audioquest type brush to get a similar effectiveness to the Hunt EDA by gluing a strip of fibers cut from an old Discwasher (or a similar fabric) on to one face of a standard pencil (which is cut to the proper length), and then gluing the pencil inside the space between the 2 rows of carbon fibers - it fits perfectly.