Tool kit for cartridge setup

I'd like to be able to setup my own cartridge. What tools do I need? Is there a good instruction book/dvd on how to do it?
jj2468
I still don't get it, Doug. In Nsgarch's method you start with the stylus as close to perpendicular as you can get it. Assuming a 1.5 degree (manufacturer depedant) stylus to surface angle is desired, and you change the heighth of the arm to get that angle, how can this not give you a good starting point, regardless of where the arm ends up?
Dan,

Sorry if I misunderstood. I thought you were saying Nsgarch recommended starting with the tonearm level. That would be fairly random IMO.

If his starting point is a 1.5 (or so) degree SRA, then I would concur. That method was first published by Jon Risch in the VA FAQ's, in 1999, and I've recommended that article many times. It's a more accurate way of achieving a reasonable starting point than the method I recommended, though of course it's also more time-consuming.

Since we have to fine tune by ear anyway, I stopped using visual SRA adjustment several years ago. But for a first timer it is probably very valuable - especially because it gets you thinking about the right things.
Thanks for clearing that up, Doug. I know by the way your setup sounds that you've got it right, but I'm curious now if the ZYX stylus is set at a little more of an angle to the cantilever since your arm is tail down. I'm certainly not second guessing anything about the way you've got things set. The tinkerer in me just has to know! :)

BTW, you should get the adapters today and I received my Borodin yesterday. Also found a copy of the trio of ladies, Parton, Ronstadt and Harris.
Dan,

It's a peculiarity of my arm. Every cartridge has been that way: multiple ZYX's, two Shelters, a Koetsu and a Denon. The 4 or 5 other arms we used at Cello's had their armtubes fairly level when using the same ZYX's.

Whether it's just my particular TriPlanar or all of them I don't know. Maybe we can compare when you get your rig. (Soon!)

Hmmm, the dealer who sold me this demo TriPlanar was smart enough to ship it with silicone still in the damping trough. (Yuck! What a mess.) Maybe he adjusted VTA at the headshell, with pliers!

Love that Trio. If you only own one C&W record...

Thanks again for the adaptors. Let's A/B with Nick's and post a review!