TT set up question

I was listening to a friends TT yesterday and it sounded really good, but on two LPs there was a crackling sound near the end of the LP. This sound did not occur earlier in the LP, and both of the LPs were new. What did he do wrong?
uppermidfi
This si known as "inner groove distortion" and is an indication of a cartridge alignment problem. Some cartridges are more susceptable than others. Carefully check alignment and anti-skate settings.

Hello. have him recalibrate as noted by Kentamcolin. However, I have also experienced surface noise when playing new records even after calibration. Some new pressings are susceptible to noise due to the cutting process and residue/contaminents which is left behind in the grooves. Have him thouroughly clean the playing surface which is recommended with all records, new or used.

Happy :D Happy :D Tunes!!
Inner groove distortion can be caused by misalignment of the cartridge or incorrect anti-skating. The alignment and overhang settings should be checked with an appropriate guage that is usually supplied with the tonearm. If you notice that the distortion is mostly in one channel, then it's usually the anti-skate setting. Distortion in the left channel (the inner groove wall) requires a decrease in anti-skate force, while distortion in the right channel requires an increase in the setting. The proper anti-skate setting should allow the cartridge to ride more centered in the groove, with equal force and tracking ability for both channels. Good luck, and let us know what you find.
I haven't had a table for a while, but how do I know if his antiskating is set right? Which way should the arm deflect when it's raised from the LP?
I haven't had a table for a while, but how do I know if his antiskating is set right? Which way should the arm deflect when it's raised from the LP?
Observing which direction an arm deflects during cueing does not tell you how to adjust antiskating. That idea is absurd.

One problem at a time. You haven't answered Seandtaylor99's question, which was important and well chosen. Identifying your friend's problem depends on the answer.