How to set SRA after determining true vertical?

Here is a picture of a stylus with zero rake angle:

http://members.cox.net/nsgarch/SRA@%200.0%20deg.jpg

Since all modern styli are symmetrical in the x and y plane about the verical z axis, the tapered stylus and its reflection will make a perfect "X" when vertical (z axis perpendicular to the groove) and viewed from the side.

This condition is established by raising or lowering the tonearm pivot post. Once you find this point, and assuming you have a typical 9" tonearm (about 230 mm from pivot to stylus) then each 4 mm you raise the post from the zero
SRA point will apply one degrewe of SRA to the stylus.

A test setup is shown in these two pics:

http://members.cox.net/nsgarch/SRA%20setup1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/nsgarch/SRA%20setup2.jpg

Equipment includes:

a mini Mag-Lite flashlite,
a first surface mirror from old SLR cameras -- easy to find at photo repair shop)
a 50X pocket microscope
bean bags

Don't forget to first remove antiskate and set VTF.

128x128nsgarch
Raul,you are aware that the cutter angle always determines where the vta will be best.All lp's vary to some degree,but I don't like to adjust to each record.I know this is not new to you.So no need to respond.Also,I use a number of lp's to make my "averaging".Also if one sets to what we hear as high freq "PURITY",over a wide range of tough to track lp's,you will be in the "perfect" zone!!BTW--If you like the wonderful "Breaking Wind",oops,just kidding,I meant "Breaking Silence",You will LOVE the Ricky Lee Jones LP,called "POP,POP"!!Out of print,but worth seeking out.

Best!
Dear Sirspeedy: " but I don't like to adjust to each record. ". I'm not either.

" Also,I use a number of lp's to make my "averaging". ". I also do the same.

Well, I like Ricky Lee Jones, as a fact a like the Music almost any kind but heavy metal ( I own some heavy netal LPs???? !! )

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Sorry Raul,Heavy metal is NOT in my collection.Almost everything else is.I would never have guessed you like Heavy Metal!!!!!!Never thought you were a heavy metal guy!!!!

Actually,other than my normal Classical,Jazz,and Avante Garde Classical,and Popular stuff,I have REALLY been going crazy over the earlier LP's of Perez Prado,and Tito Puente!!I haven't heard any newer groups that can duplicate their way with arrangements.Also,if you have heard them,originally,on vinyl,with their "original" musicians,it is hard to listen to the modern versions of this GREAT music.I just can't get used to anything electric,in great Latin music,though I had always loved Santana.Yet now that I have heard these guys,I think TITO well deserved the Royalties that he WAS payed,by Santana,for his arrangements.GREAT STUFF,those originals!!

Best!
Dear Sirspeedy: Yes those original Perez Prado/Tito Puente and the like latin music were great and today we canĀ“t find nothing nearest. Like you, I love Santana too.

I think that not only in this music genre but in classical, jazz, pop, blues, rock, etc, etc, we are in decadence from many years to now: the great composers and interpreters all dissapears: are " things " of the past.
There is nothing growing up about: where are the Bethovens/Stravinskys,Mhalers, Beatles, Fitzgeralds, Miles, Evans, Peres Prados, Jobim, Caruso, Callas, Streisands, Presleys and the like ?. The new generations about are on a lesser/different level and maybe I don't understand exactly their " music " flavor.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul,you may want to experience "some" of John Zorn's work.Available mostly on CD.The film series is where I'd start,and is magnificent music.The Tzadik label(he owns)is of very high quality!Also,if you follow some music publications,like Grammophone,etc,you can choose some of the "well reviewed" music,and download samples at some of the better "book/music" stores.This way it becomes clear that there are still talented composers out there.The problem is,that we are not exposed enough,to them.Profits drive the music business,so we have to do the work,ourselves.I have NO problem looking,hard,for NEW music,and it is real fun,when I make a new discovery.

Best!

BTW,Raul--I hope you were not too influenced by your taste for Heavy Metal,when you "waxed poetic" about all the subtle virtues of the ALLAERTS stuff.Somehow the harmonic,and timbrel virtues of something like a softly played oboe,or viola,would seem to be more in line,with what Jan is trying to communicate,than anything by Axel Rose!Not that it isn't fun to "rock out",but you get my point!