Trying to get back into Lps, I seem to be throwing

I would appreciate some advice on what I can do to improve my record listening pleasure. I have rescently purchased the Project perspective turntable and have installed the Sumiko blackbird MC cartridge as well. So far I am very disappointed in the sound quality from top to bottom. At this point I seem to be throwing money right down the tubes. My equiptment consists of a McIntosh C37 preamp with the standard MM output and 2 McIntosh 7200 amps with Aerial 9 speakers. I also have an ESound E5 cd player which has been upgraded by Joseph Chow (early 70s Kenwwood fame).
powers55
Powers55, sorry if this has been covered, I am in a hurry and did not read all of the above posts, If this highs are a bit thin and you are lacking bass I am wondering about your VTA, perhaps try lowering the tone arm a bit, if this is mentioned already sorry, I got to go start my christmas shopping now, David
Dear Powers: I respect the Eldartford opinion about step-up transformers ( SUT ), but I definitive don't agree with him: THE BEST SUT IS NO SUT.

Take a look to this link:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1130451054&openflup&5&4#5

Stay aways of SUTs.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
I agree with Armstrod and in this subject I can't understand the " whys " Eldartford advise.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Larryparka if you don't "care" please don't contribute to the thread. And try not to be so rude.
Rauliruegas...Some people think that a transformer is a "purer" way to get gain than an active circuit. Six of one and half a dozen the other. All I know is that the Signet transformer which I used performed very well indeed, which was contrary to my expectation at the time.

Although the specs on the pickup and the electronics (as reported above) suggest that it ought to work, I still have my doubts. In fact, I guess it does "work", but not in a way that Powers55 likes.

It seems to me that trying a reasonably-priced trasformer is a practical course of action, and, as a side benefit, prepares the way for a low output MC pickup, which is where the real virtues of MC are (IMHO) to be found.