Linn LP12......That good??

I have an Ariston RD80 (very good) and a Thorens TD 160, also very good.
How good are the Linn Lp12 tt's??
I am always looking for the best most impressive sound.
I will have to sell the Ariston/Thorens if i buy the Linn because i will not need 3 turntables!
The Ariston almost looks like the Linn by the way.
So how great are the Linn's and what is the best combination to buy?
Thanks!
x1884
Your question doesn't provide enough information to give you a really well thought out response but here's my take anyway. I've owned my current LP-12 since '84 and have done most of the upgrades offered along the way myself. In spite of it's detractors it is a really good deck and once tweaked stays that way unlesss you move it around incorrectly a lot. The only failure I've had was the Valahlla which I repaired myself for something like $10. A lot of the performance is dependent upon the tonearm used with it and proper setup. They are very inexpensive on the used market for their preformance. I love mine and wouldn't sell it even if I were buying a better table.

I know several people that owned the Ariston tables. Their comments when they come over for a music get together is that they wouldn't have jumped into digital if their old tables sounded as good as my Linn. They look similar and may be just great. I don't know. I've also owned Thorens tables dating back to '71 and my favorite was the 125. IMO, they are no match for the Linn but can understand an argument that they are equals. Again, as I stated above your happiness will be determined by the arm, etc.

I don't put a lot of stock in the compliments I receive from friends who drop kicked analog 25-30 years ago. There are just too many variables in the mix to toss what they owned under the bus. I'd guess I could work on one of your tables with a newer arm, properly mounted "okay" cartridge and they would be surprised with these tables as well.

I have no compelling reason to upgrade my table. I'd probably feel differently after new amps and speakers were inserted.

The used sweet spot is a braced plinth, Valhalla, Cirkus bearing and Ittok LVII Linn. If you can peddle yours and buy the Linn without much more outlay (+/- $400) then I'd suggest going for it.
No, not that good.

I recently heard a souped-up Linn (with all top-of-the-line associated Linn components) and came away not awed by the whole setup. The Linn is very popular because of its cult status, but when you really listen to it, it's all hype. Thin sounding like CDs, I would get something better (for about the same money).

George
Remember if you bought everything from LP12 ,Lngo,circus upgrade etc etc the whole rig would to out at $10K.Buy a used LP12 ans get a GOOOD TURNTABLE TECH!!!I have a 1983 LP12 with Grace arm and a Grado \$200 Gold cart I'd sell for $700.It works fine.Get mine or somebody elses and pick and choose which upgrades are worth it and which aren't.I used tork for a dealer who added Linn after I left so I could get the upgrades for cheap.But I have a $5K VPI and if anything am thinking of scaling back to a smaller VPI deck.It's not that I don't like sprung tables (it's an old wives myth that you have to re-adjust your Lin n every month-there as satbe in tune up and staying that way as the others youmentimed.For me the VP choice was based on their arms which allow qiuick tube/cartidge swaps.
G'luck
Chazzbo
George, if it sounded thin there was a problem with the setup and/or the associated components. I own Linn, VPI, Oracle and
Nottingham and use them all. The VPI TNT is the best of the bunch but the Linn is a wonderful table. IT DOES NOT sound thin.