Do small preamp tubes 12ax7 need to be matched?

I had a Telefunken 12ax7 tube go out on me in the V4 (R) position of my Aesthetix Rhea, so I replaced the pair with stock Sovtek 12ax7WBs. Do I need to replace the Teles with a matched pair, or can I just pick up a single and throw it in. Obviously, I'll stick with smooth plate, as that is what was in there.
128x128stew3859
I have always been told that matching only matters for the power (output) tubes but I think it would depend on how the circuit is done. I think the Aesthetix are balanced right? Maybe it can make a difference in that case. See if you hear a difference!
I think "matched pair" for small signal tubes is a misnomer. What, exactly is being matched? Transconductance and current figures are a poor indicator at best as to how any given small signal tube will perform in situ. Anyone with extensive tube testing and utilization experience would agree that sometimes even tubes that read NOS on a calibrated tester can be absolute duds sonically be it noise, microphony or other sonic issues. My strategy is usually to find a half-dozen tubes that all test good, and then listen to all of them to find a good sonic match for a useable pair. Generally, I find that of the half-dozen, at least two will be unacceptable for the given application (which doesn't preclude their use elsewhere in a circuit). Hence, the old saying of 'if it sounds good it is good', applies quite well to small signal tubes. Power tubes, of course, are an entirely different story.

-Richard