Advice on semi-auto turntables?

You guys have convinced me to replace my 25 year old turntable, assuming I can hear a difference. I really would like a semi-auto that returns the tonearm, unless there are some serious drawbacks with this feature. Or if this feature is going to limit me to non-quality TT's. The only current manufacturers I have found that produce semi-autos are Thorens and Dual. I am looking at a Thorens TD 295 MkIII. Dual makes a CS 505-4, but my gut feel is that the Thorens would be the better of the two. They are in the $900-$1000 range. Anyone heard either of these or have any opinions that would help me out? Thanks in advance.
angiemima
I wouldnt shy away from a good semiauto tt Technics made some with adjustable vta (1700 mk 2 and others) so did others. I have one and a Cosmos iv with sme v to compare it to. I have no problem listening to the technics.
A Yamaha YP-701 (circa 1976) is a great semi-automatic belt drive. A restored example sold here a few months ago for around $400 if I'm not mistaken.

And its' tonearm smokes the Technics.

I love semi-automatic turntables. Actually I like quarter-automatic turntables, that is, the kind automatically lifts the arm at the end of record and stops platter rotation. Here are some recommendations, all under 400 and all direct drive:

JVC QL-A7
Kenwood KD-770D
Denon DP-60L or any L series such as 59L, 62L, etc...
Yamaha YP-D71

Sonically the Kenwood is my favorite.

Good luck!

_______