Is extremely accurate "VTA" adjustment necessary?

Here's a very interesting article by Geoff Husband of TNT on the importance (or better relative unimportance) of overly accurate VTA adjustment.

Exposing the VTA myth?

A short quote form the article:

Quote - "VTA, or Vertical Tracking Angle is one of those topics that divides opinion...That 'VTA' matters is indisputable, but the purpose of this article is to examine the validity of the claims made for the relative importance of VTA...SRA/VTA matters of course, but in the real world not THAT much, rigidity, simplicity and lateral alignment are all more important"

What are your thought and comments on this issue?
restock
Post removed 
Decay, how thick are those spacer record mats that you add for thin LP's?
This does seem a like good option, since you are not disturbing the mechanical aspects of the arm mounting. However, like many popular tables mine does not use any record mats, which makes this impossible for me.

(sorry for adding another answer to the thread hear, I should learn to answer everybody in a single response..(:-)

Rene
Restock, I appreciate your intellectual curiosity about this issue, but it strikes me that you are asking but not accepting the sharing of experiences you are receiving. I can tell you only what my ears tell me while listening to my system.

Doug Deacon's experience matches my own exactly. We approach our solutions to this somewhat differently, but we we share the same experience, we are hearing the same things, and we both adjust VTA on an LP-by-LP basis. In my case, I have settings marked that are ballpark correct for "most" 120 and 180 gram records, and which I have carefully selected based on the interplay of VTA and VTF on my tonearm (each affects the other). I start at that applicable ballpark setting for the given LP (or slightly off from it if the record is 150 gram or 200 gram, based on experience). I then will adjust by ear if things are not sounding right: if it doesn't sound dialed-in, I simply stop the record, make a VTA adjustment, and start up again. My tonearm allows for very minor adjustments (in the .001" range and continuously adjustable), and even very small changes in this sub-.005" range can, on some LPs, make a difference in whether everything locks into place or not. I have experienced the sonic improvements such minor adjustments can make, my listening partner spouse has experienced it, my audio friends listening on my system have experienced it, and the manufacturer of my turntable experiences it. We've done it numerous times in our listening sessions together.

I try not to get compulsive about VTA - after all, this is about enjoying the music! - but I do pay attention to it and often I notice that when I'm simply not as engaged in the music, often the VTA is slightly off.

I will also add that, in my system, the answer to why such minor VTA changes are audible is not an artifact of mechanical stability variables as you hypothesized could be the case. My tonearm (Walker Proscenium) is not adjustable on the fly for exactly those types of concerns. Locking rings and a set screw bring the toneam to a mechanically rigid state after adjustment, and must be loosened to make any adjustment; nevertheless, it only takes 10 seconds to make an adjustment.

Your question, however, was is such extreme accuracy "NECESSARY." My answer to that specific question is: in my system, yes, it truly makes a difference and I hear it. I don't always bother with it and still enjoy the music, but to get the maximum quality of playback that the system can deliver, it is absolutely necessary to pay attention at these minute degrees of difference. And, I don't always do it because sometimes I'm not being that pickly; sometimes FM radio is OK, but most times I'm looking for more - especially in my listening room.

Speaking of which, I've just come back to edit my post to share this experience after writing the above: As I was finishing the post, I was being troubled by the piano reproduction on a Philips LP of the Beethoven Cello Sonatas with Rostropovich and Richter that was playing as I was writing (Philips 835 182/83). The piano sound was "shattering" slightly on some strongly struck notes in some louder passages at the end of the last movement. I changed the VTA by possibly .002" (two-thousandths of an inch), relocked the arm and replayed the section. The "shattering' was gone and the notes were reproduced in their full clarity and dynamic.
Hi Rushton,

I do not dispute that you and Doug and others are hearing these changes.
And I do trust your ears and system more than mine. To keep my question
short and precise: My question after reading the article is just: Why don't we
hear the variation in VTA as the LP rotates, since this variation is much bigger
than changing the armheight by .005'. This was really the technical problem
that stroke me the most when reading the article.

I guess we can't really tell the change in sound over a two second period but
then we all can hear diffrences over a much shorer timescale than that. It
seems to me from your experiences It might be just the average vta that
counts for each record even if the errorbars are much bigger than that.

Oh, this doesn't come quite down to just intellectual curiousity. I am
deliberating to get a Teres table and I was wondering whether a $200 VTA
adjuster would make sense and whether I am giving up mechanical stability in
that case. The above article just caused myself to rethink some of what I have
heard here on Audiogon and elsewhere. I guess based on your experiences
maybe I should just give it a try.

Thanks again,

Rene
How about this for a practical answer? If you are debating whether to spend $200 to allow EASY and REPEATABLE VTA adjustment and you think that you will be adjusting VTA on an even occasional basis, buy it!