analog newbie question/vinyl weight

sorry to ask such a basic question but I'm new to vinyl so bear with me. What are the differences/benifits between different record weights, 120g or 180g for example.
128x128toddwj
My turntable (Technics) makes it very easy to adjust VTA to compensate for differences in thickness, to make sure tonal balance affected by VTA remains fairly constant.

Concerning the variety of record weights (e.g., 140g, 180g, 200g), different weights have different resonant frequencies, but a record grip like the KABUSA dampens the record's resonant frequency and minimizes that difference. I use the KABUSA and it helps put a Dynaflex and a Classic in the same sonic ballpark.

But after all that, there is--to these ears--an audible difference in sound quality of the 200g Classics I have. They reveal superior recovery of low level detail more like the master tape itself. I think these differences are attributable to:

1) Classic's tendency to use the original 2-track master rather than a copy (1 less generation of deterioration)
2) Bernie Grundman doing the mastering
3) Bernie's tube-driven cutter

I suspect the tube-driven cutter particularly enhances the low level resolution, as low amplitude linearity is probably the strongest suit of tube-driven electronics.

I just got two wonderful 200g Classics this week, and they stun me every time I put one on for their comprehensive retrieval of everything that went on in the studio. I have a mid-priced system, certainly nothing expensive, but with the Classics (a Holly Cole and a Norah Jones), I don't just hear the music, I hear how they made the music, right down to being able to visualize how the vocalists are shaping their mouths to sing the notes.
Agreed, stltrains. The Triplanar does make life easier.

Well, Dre, since Chester, NH, is the audio capital of the world, it did make sense. You remember those McDonald's signs claiming so may millions sold? not even close. :-)
Funny Dan, but I thought the audio capital of the world was in a barn in rural Pennsylvania somewhere...
Luke,

Be aware that using the weight/thickness of an LP to estimate arm height is only valid when comparing LPs on the same record label (and from the same pressing plant and era). Different plants and engineers used different gear and adjusted it differently. Therefore, cutting stylus SRA's vary widely between similar weight LPs on different labels. A 180g Decca/London will not want the same arm height as a 180g RCA or Mercury or MFSL reissue. Not even close.

We use weight (as a proxy for thickness) just as you're planning to, but only within the context of a single record label. We have a baseline setting for a typical weight on each label, then adjust for different weights from there.

That's still just an estimate of course. Fine tuning for each LP is by ear.