analog newbie question/vinyl weight

sorry to ask such a basic question but I'm new to vinyl so bear with me. What are the differences/benifits between different record weights, 120g or 180g for example.
128x128toddwj
Well to give you a very good estimate based on several years of routinely performing these measurements on over 1000 LPs, see below.

100 gram = 1.00 mm
120 gram = 1.20 mm
150 gram = 1.50 mm
180 gram = 1.80 mm
200 gram = 2.00 mm

These numbers are approximate but consistently close every time they are checked. I have a set of calipers modified specifically for this purpose. I'm actually impressed that the numbers are mostly consistant.

Of course there are a couple that fall outside the norm (+/- 0.05 mm).

Dre
Thanks, Dre! But I'm not paying you the cost of a Mitutoyo for the info. :-)

I believe Doug just weighs them and figures the difference is in thickness. No reason to think otherwise.

With the Talea it is very easy to set by ear. It screams at you when things aren't right. ;-) Not meaning to shill, but this arm makes it very easy to know when things are right and when they aren't.

Disclaimer, I sell Taleas and Galibiers.
Stltrains, you are most welcome.

Dan: Disclaimer? Ha! Dan, you got hooked. Not hard to do considering your equipment and love of music. Congratulations.

And yes, the Talea does let you know when VTA is off at least that's what my time and sonic memory tells me.

Dre
One thing is for sure my Triplaner and my ears will let me know when VTA is off. But now that i have your valuable information along with Tri letting me know that 1 revolution of the VTA towers dial is 1/40th of an inch. I can get mighty close with any weight record. That breaks down to 1/40th=0.025 decimal in. That equals 0.635mm per revolution of the dial.

Wow now i m getting real scientific and i know in the end my ears will let me know if i need to make further VTA adjustments but i should be close.

I m retired now and have plenty of time on my hands guys.