analog newbie question/vinyl weight

sorry to ask such a basic question but I'm new to vinyl so bear with me. What are the differences/benifits between different record weights, 120g or 180g for example.
128x128toddwj
Post removed 
Rex - interesting, I'd never seen the use before the 80s.

Elizabeth - "Quiex II" is stated by Classic Records to be a different formulation, but they are all somewhat different from pressing plant to plant. Some of CR's re-releases on Quiex II do sound better than the earlier releases with a somewhat sweeter top end that improves somewhat on the notoriusly poor CR string tone (they haven't been remastered, so the vinyl is the only change). As I understand the process, the vinyl comes in pellet form.
Elizabeth,

A dealer friend gave me a "Hershey Kiss" piece of vinyl years ago. I don't really have any way to confirm this now but he told me it was a genuine piece of MFSL vinyl as they purchased it, ready for the stamping process. It does look exactly like that particular piece of candy. It has been sitting close to my turntable since the early 80's as a novelty. It's about 3" in diameter by 1 1/2" tall.
Rushton, wonderful post. I actually have some 104g (Telefunken) records that sound surprisingly good. Yesterday I played a new Cyprien Katsaris/Liszt LP and was worried the record would be too thin. Yet the piano tone was decent and the dynamics were certainly uncompressed. Elizabeth was right, choice of mastering techniques and other variables matter more than the weight of the vinyl. OTOH I'm reasonably sure I heard some intervinyl resonances that might have been better damped by a thicker record.
has anyone taken measurements of 120,150,180 and 200 weighted lps in inches curious as to what those measurements really are.