Best Dac under $600... New or used

Whats the best Dac under $600, new or used, with volume control? I'm thinking about either a used benchmark dac 1, paired with an inexpensive amp for now, OR, a peachtree nova 125 or ...??

Whattya guys think?
128x128b_limo
Thanks for the input fellas. I should have added that I only need an digital co-ax input, no usb.

I also prefer a warm sound with substance as opposed to thin and cold. I do like the micro details and sparkle though.

I've been looking at Schitt also. The bifrost looks nice but I heard the gungir is a great dac... No volume control on either of them though, if I remember correctly.

I'll check out that eastern electric mini max also.

Thanks again for the input. I'll check out any other recommendations also!
mhdt Constantine used would fit your bill to a tee with your budget and probably leave some change if you can find one. It's a SS non-oversampling DAC I use in my main system.
I'd look at the new Parasound Zdac v.2. I have the original model and think that it's ridiculously good for the money. It's very, very close in performance to my Benchmark DAC1 but with a touch of welcome warmth that the Benchmark lacks. The new Zdac has a volume control so it can drive a amplifier directly.