As good as Ayre QB-9 DSD but with SPDIF input?

Can you guys recommend a DAC that's better or same league as the QB-9 DSD but with SPDIF input?

Thanks!
128x128nkbg
If you like the Ayre, you won't like the Hegel most probably. It's much 'cooler' sounding than the Ayre or Vega. Some folks like the Hegel sound better as it's more immediate I guess you can call it. Just totally different sounding devices. I wouldn't say the Vega has more tonal saturation. I do think the Ayre is just more subtle. When you listen critically to it, you hear everything that was laid down.
Nkbg,

The lampi snagged TWO awards here. Check out the Level 4 (with DSD)for sure!

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue76/awards2014.htm
Thanks Winson. Lampizator seems to be getting quite a bit of attention. I'm concerned about long term reliability and ability to audition one.

I've been A/B'ng the Ayre and BADA Series 1 (AP2+PP) using Multi-Output Device support on the Mac. The Ayre clearly has more forward but natural vocals. Bass is slightly better defined on the Ayre. BADA has better soundstage depth.

This comparison is very telling of how much things have improved and changed in the last 4 years!
Kkbg, Interesting comment on the soundstage of the Ayre....I haven't heard the BADA. I have heard the Ayre on some big systems and the soundstage to me was natural. I don't know the BADA, but I know others out there have large stages regardless of what the producer wanted. I personally love soundstage (used to have Proacs and now Vandys) but I don't like everything to sound big if you know what I mean. I just like to hear the intimacy of a small jazz club if that's what was put down on the recording. Not saying the BADA or anything else for that matter doesn't do a realistic stage. Just something to keep in mind when you listen to everything.
NKBG,

No issues with L4 long term, plus its under 5 year warranty. 2 service guys in the US and return to Poland in extreme case takes 2 days via DHL.

Trial? You have a 7 day return policy from the guys running LampizatorNorth America.

You can also try the Amber Dac with its cheaper price and great feedback at Headfi.org forum:

00lunar

228 Posts. Joined 12/2008
Just dropping in to say that I had a listen to Amber. I've compared it to Essence III and TeddyDAC. Amber was king of the hill all the way. He represents much higher level than those two, at some point me and my buddy felt that this comparison was unfair. From devices known to me, I'd start comparing Amber to products like at least Vega.

Quick sum up:
Amber - transparent, excellent dynamics, enormous soundstage, spot on texture, organics and smooth
EIII - muddy, warm, cosy, not really detailed in comparison, intimate
TeddyDAC - something between those two above

00L.