Is the CD and DVD/Bluray going away?

I've been hearing grumbling that the shinny plastic disks will be shortly disappearing from the market in favor of HD downloading for music and video.

I guess my hopes on a new Oppo 3D Bluray may need to be reconsidered. I wonder if the web apps will include 3D movies which can be utilized in our Home Theater

Some say the new HD down loads might be more "realistic" than vinyl. Not sure I can agree with that.

Please comment as it seems the by forcing everything to downloads, it puts the marketing advantage to the big Moguls who will jack up the costs to the music/video consumers.
levchappy
According to Nielsen SoundScan for 2012:
193 million Cds were sold
4.6 million Lps were sold
118 million Digital album downloads were sold

Cd sales were down from 224 million in 2011
Lp sales were up from 3.9 million in 2011
Digital album downloads were up from 103 million sold in 2011

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/01/04/the-nielsen-company-billboards-2012-music-industry/

So cd sales continue to decline but they should be sold for a while yet.
Interesting the differences noted in sales between sources. The numbers I noted above were from a Reuter's article based on Billboard magazine figures. See
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/05/us-albumsales-us-idUSTRE8031NY20120105.
(These are 2011 figures, but I'm not sure how much I would trust 2012 figures so soon after the close of the year.)

However, the trends noted are similar and the comments agree. CDs are going to be around for many more years.

However, another impact that many have noted the past few years is the loss of local stores with a big inventory of CDs.
Mlsstl, Nielsen releases their numbers within the first few days of the new year. The RIAA releases numbers for product shipped in a few weeks. In the past the two sets of numbers have been fairly close.
Cd will go away the way vinyl has. It hasn't and won't for years. Downloads will be just another alternative but a growing one and getting better. Sooner or later I will get into it but it will likely be in a year or two. The technology is maturing. Jallen