Potential DAQuestion - Tube preamps and Buffers

~

I'm looking to smooth out the sound a bit, and have a potentially DAQ (Dumb a$$ question):

I run a CDP DAC and transport (Resolution Opus 21) into a tubed pre-amp (Audio Horizons TP2.0), then from there out to a digital Class D switching amp (Spectron MII Hybrid.) When I put the tube pre-amp into the system, it really helped to mellow out and improve the sound, as compared to a solid-state pre-amp I had tried and tested A/B.

So far, so good... I've been enjoying, but it can still be a bit brash. The Magnapan speakers only call out the brash detail.

Would a Tube Buffer help further, or is it a redundancy in the system? Do I need to consider the tech specs of each piece to determine that, e.g., output impedance*? Would it be a total waste of time and money?

Thanks,
Rob

* Just because I can spell 'output impedance' should not suggest that I know much about specs. :)

~
rhanson739
Thanks, folks. I had already gotten the impression that the tube buffer would be a bit redundant in this setup. (Actually, I think Santa is bringing me one, but it is returnable if it doesn't work out.)

When we first got the Audio Horizons pre-amp, it sounded great with the stock tubes. But then I put in NOS Amperex PQ White Labels (x4), and it sounded fantastic. Been using them since.

So, perhaps a tube buffer should not be strongly considered.

BUT... I'm starting to serve up more computer-based music rather than flipping CDs. I'm now looking for a decent quality DAC. The Resolution Opus 21 will accept an S/PDIF signal up to 96KHz, but I think I'd like to upgrade, at least for the computer connection.

Could it be that a tubed DAC might be useful in this situation? Or, once again, is a tubed DAC in front of a tube pre-amp a likely redundancy?

Thanks. Love this place...

Rob
Definitely agree with tube rolling first.There's lots of info. at the Brent Jesse site and also a great thread called "Joe's tube lore"on audio asylum to read up a little before experiments ensue.All of the tube brands sound different and when you find the right combination you'll lose that harshness.Best of luck to you.
"I'm now looking for a decent quality DAC. The Resolution Opus 21 will accept an S/PDIF signal up to 96KHz, but I think I'd like to upgrade, at least for the computer connection."

The Opus 21 is an excellent dac. I would do a very good, side by side, demo with the new dac before you get rid of it.
Thanks, Zd542. I will certainly keep that in mind.

I'm sure there are plenty of other things I could do to improve the sound in lieu of a new DAC.

Thing is, I've read a lot of positive about Async USB DACs, whereas the Opus only accepts 96KHz S/PDIF. Is there a noticeable difference, or is S/PDIF just fine?
Async USB interfaces and DACs vary all over the map. Some are much better than any S/PDIF input and others are not as good. Depends on the design and parts choices.

The opportunity is there to make it a LOT better than other DAC interfaces because the master clock is in this interface.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio