Replacement for Squeezebox Touch?

It's too soon to panic, but with Logitech's action to discontinue the Squeezebox Touch I'm looking ahead to a replacement.

I currently have my music library (in FLAC format) on an external hard drive attached to my PC. I then use the Logitech Media Server running on the PC to distribute the music files to the Touch through my home network. I'm using the digital output of the Touch into a Musical Fidelity M1DAC, and I can see and control the player through an app on my iPad. It all works great, even with hi-res 24/96 files. Additionally, Pandora and Internet Radio are all available through the Touch.

The Touch was an extremely cost effective way to get into this new (to me) mode of listening to my library. Now that I'm hooked I don't want to be left high and dry when and if the Touch goes belly up.

What reasonably priced options are out there? I know that the Mac Mini has been used by some, but I'm clueless on how to set up something like that. I'd rather not put a computer monitor in my audio rig. Could the Mini be controlled from the iPad? Also, since iTunes doesn't handle FLAC, how do I deal with that?

I know there must be other options as well, but price is very much an issue. Some of the media servers I see on Audiogon are $3K to $5K or more. They're unfortunately not in the cards.

Any responses would be appreciated. I'm sure I'm not alone with concerns on this topic.
bama214
Bama214,

I feel your pain and, I initially panicked myself. However, my Touch's connection to the Squeezebox server has ironically been more reliable since they stopped production of the unit. I think Sc53 may well be right about the future. That said, the Sonos is really you're only alternative in this price range and it *is* a very well-put together system. If the SB server goes dark, that's where I'm headed unless some brainiac invents a better alternative in the meantime.
Bama214,

I have a couple of Squeezebox IIIs around the house. They still work fine. Due to the FUD re: their demise, I am thinking of replacing them with Apple Airport Express or Sonos, neither of which support streaming hi-res files at this time.

As I see it, the advantage of the Apple device is ease and simplicity. The main disadvantage is dependence upon iTunes, although the sonic effects could be mitigated through use of Bit Perfect, Audioirvana or Amarra.

Sonos is interesting, but I see it as a rather expensive system for what it does, and the technology is becoming quite dated. It would make more sense to me if they supported hi-res, but they don't.

There are some bluetooth streaming options that have become available in the last year or so, but I do not have any experience with these. Frankly, bluetooth is a strictly an in-room (<20') technology; which is not what I am looking for.
Sonos is very reliable, but it requires reclocking if you are to use it in a high-end system. Will only do 44.1, not 96. The jitter is much higher than the Touch, which actually benefits from reclocking too, but not as much.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
If mysqueezebox.com goes dark, which will be a few years at least because of EU regulations, then you would just lose the streaming services such as Pandora. As long as your OS works with the version of LMS you're running, streaming local files should continue to work indefinitely. If your hardware dies, you can use the ipeng player app with an idevice and dock.