toning down the ps audio perfect wave dac

i own an original ps audio perfect wave dac. i called ps audio about sending it back for an upgrade. a technician i spoke to said the upgrade would increase the resolution of the dac.

i would like to tone down the treble a bit, as i find it a bit treble heavy.

i thought the least expensive way of doing this is substituting caps in the signal path and or replacing the metal film resistors with reiken carbon fibers.

i am not familiar with the "sound" of caps, but would like to soften the treble.

the only caps i am aware that might do that are audio note, mundorf or duland. am i on the right track ?

if not, what other caps could i consider ?
mrtennis
This kind of tuning is risky. If you wanted a softer presentation, the V-Cap teflons, not CUTF will do this. Some Cardas cabling will also do it, but they cause HF rolloff IME.

These things tend to be filtering, which is not a good path to start down. It is better to determine the component that is causing the sibilance and get rid of it. It may be a preamp or even the speakers.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Funny, I'm a PWD (I and then II) owner who is very sensitive to edge in the highs, and I've not been tempted to call it "treble heavy." Actually, "relaxed" comes to mind first. I wonder if Steve is right and the issue is somewhere in the system.

John
The MKII upgrade will resolve all your issues. It makes the original DAC a whole new DAC altogether...Read the recent TAS review...
I have to agree with John (Jdoris). I had the PWD in Mk.I form before upgrading to Mk.II, and in neither case would I call it treble heavy. Relaxed but highly resolving (referring to the Mk.II).
'Treble heavy" emphasis and higher or improved resolution are`nt the same. True resolution improvement is desirable.Heavy treble is an unwanted coloration.The MK II upgrade seems the direction to go.
Regards,