Macbook vs Squeezebox 3

Why does my Bolder Cable modded SB3 sound sooo much better than my Macbook? They are both going into the same PS Audio Digital Link III DAC. The SB3 via coax, the Macbook via USB. The SB3 is connected to my Mac Mini via ethernet and accessing files that are stored on an external hard drive. The Macbook has the same files stored on it's internal drive.

The SB3 sounds fuller, more detailed, more extension at both ends, just better all the way around. Wondering why my Macbook sounds so bad by comparison? Seems like I should be able to get equal, if not better sound out of the Macbook.
ecruz
Not sure whether it has optical out or not. I'll have to check. As for the V-Link, I don't really want to buy any more hardware. Was hoping I could plug the Macbook into the USB input, tweak some settings and have better sound than my modded SB3.

Must say, I was expecting more comments.
3 possible reasons:

1) USB interface jitter is higher

2) SB3, particularly with mods has lower jitter

3) the playback software you are using with the USB interface is compromised. If you are using for instance iTunes on a PC, this is what you get.

You have only scratched the surface of the most important thing in all digital audio systems, the clock jitter.

This only gets better. Try reclocking the SB3 or upgrading your USB interface with a USB converter.

Try playing back from a PC with Foobar2000 and Jplay plug-in.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
I think by default, Mac OS upsamples everything to what the output interface can handle: which on the DAC might be 24/96

Using AudioMIDI Setup to set it to 16/44.1 (same as your ripped CDs) and see if there's an improvement.

Also I believe the DAC in question only has synchronous USB connection.

You should get better performance with a good async USB SPDIF box like a Wavelink HS or OffRamp or Audiophileo
My Macbook does have optical digital output. I did a little more testing last night, using iTunes w/Pure Music in the "memory mode". Did sound a little better than the USB, but still the Macbook sounded very flat, undynamic and one dimensional compared to the Squeezebox.

I guess my next step will be to try something like a V-Link and see what that sounds like.

My ultimate goal is to replace the Squeezebox with a Mac Mini.
Ecruz - the Mac Mini by itself will probably never beat the SB because the jitter is too high.

If you were to use either a reclocker from the toslink output of the Mini or a USB converter from the USB output of the Mini, this would beat the Mini by itself.

The more you spend for these devices, the lower the jitter and the better the result. You MUST use good cables too. A good 1.5m cable from a reclocker to your DAC would cost over $400. Be prepared to spend some money if you want stellar results. This is more important than the DAC.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio