Processor DACs

I am shopping for a new Processor. I’ll probably get an Integra DHC 80.3, so I am curious if anyone has ever compared the onboard DAC of their processor to an established benchmark DAC such as a W4S DAC-2. Since my music server has USB outs, it would require purchasing a USB to S/PDIF converter (such as the Anedio U2) to hook up the processor to the server. Before spending the money on a converter, I am wondering if people have tried this out, and what their experience with it is. It seems that most mainstream processors have solid DACs to do all the Dolby Digital conversion, so wouldn’t it make sense that they should perform excellent as a standalone DAC? I would appreciate your thoughts and experience.
hifiguy5
Steve - are you commenting on the Mac Mini as a source or the Wadia as a USB converter?
Well I thought I would throw in my 2c worth. I've spent a lot of time and some $$$ debating the same issues.

I started off with a Integra 80.3 and tried a number of DACs including Rega, Burson, Musical Fidelity and settled on the Zodiac Gold. Each has a distinct sound and I can't emphasize enough the importance of listening to them. I found that in my system the reviews were often spot on, but not always.

Having decided to go with the Antelope, I debated going through the 80.3 or directly into the my Parasound amp (the Antelope has a preamp with analog ins).

From the Antelope straight into the amp without room correction was pretty much unlistenable-bass was overwhelming, imaging was poor. This was not the fault of the equipment, but rather my room (even with acoustic treatments). Going from the Zodiac to Integra with Audyssey was MUCH better.

It wasn't until I tried Dirac Live as a demo that I really appreciated just how good my system could sound. Removing the 80.3 from the loop opened up the sound stage, markedly improved the image and really impressed me (and friends who came over to listen).

I am currently struggling without a true home-theater bypass - playing with volume levels is a bit tricky, but well worth it.

The demo of Dirac is easy to use and worth trying.
Hey Mhp
It seems like Dirac has removed the beta version of the live correction suite from the website. Is it being discontinued or are they just preparing for the official version to be released? I am hoping it will be 24bit/196khz compatible. I mean even the Arc which is less than half its price is 196khz compatible.
If you are referring to the PC based version, it appears to still be there.

http://shop.dirac.se/products/97-dirac-live-room-correction-suite-full-pre-release-version.aspx