What high-end multichannel SACD players are there?

Hello,

My SACD collection is growing! It looks like SACD is here to stay, as more and more discs are popping up on the MusicDirects of the world.

Anyway, I have an ONKYO SP1000 universal player. It plays SACDs. It is multi-channel. It sounds pretty decent, but I'm sure there are much better players out there.

I'm trying to find out what my options are to replace it with a better sounding SACD player. Looks like there are a bunch of players out there from the likes of Esoteric, DCS, McIntosh, Ayre, Krell, etc... BUT they ALL seem to be only 2-channel!

Isn't one of the main points of SACD to be MULTI channel? All the dics have multichannel tracks, and I would hate to give up the option to play them by moving to a better sounding player.

Basically what I'm wondering is this - What are the options for a true high-end SACD player that also has mutichannel capabilities?
goatwuss
Thanks for the responses guys!

Currently my setup includes an Anthem D2 as a processor.

Would my best bet be to get an Oppo 95 and connect via HDMI?

The Oppo would need to convert to PCM to output over HDMI. What sample rate and frequency would this PCM be?

Are there other, better sounding solutions to output SACD PCM over HDMI than the Oppo?
Depends on your budget. I had a Denon 5910ci for a few years but in the interest of consolidating a BluRay and MultiChannel in to one I sold the 5910 and have just bought the Denon 100 Anniversary Edition DBP-A100 and am very happy with it's performance out of the 6 channel analog out. It was on special at 1/2 off as they are no longer made. I listened to the Oppo 95 at the same dealer and the Denon was warmer and less analytical in my opinion.
But I was used to the Denon sound from owning the 5910. Other options you my look at, again depending on budget and if video is a consideration. All available used: Esoteric DV50 or Dv60; Mcintosh MVP861, MVP871 or MVP881; Denon A number to choose from;Marantz UD8004 or UD9004 as mentioned above. I am sure there are more that I am not thinking of. But again what is your budget?
For HDMI output, the Oppo 93 is equivalent to the 95. If you do not need the Blu Ray, you can get a Sony XA5400. According to Kal marginally better than the Oppo on HDMI out. Oppo converts SACD / DSD at 88/24 PCM. Very expensive (oppo based) Ayre has optimized HDMI - supposedly better than plain vanilla Oppo. I would personally stay away from Oppo based expensive players that are based on the 83 platform (i.e. all of them).
Thanks guys.

Budget is up to $3k or so, new or used, could swing more for a really compelling solution.

Current line of thinking is Oppo 95 going over HDMI, unless I stumble across a much better sounding option over HDMI. It wouldn't make sense for me to go analog as my D2 will just re-convert to digital to do room correction and bass management.
If room correction is your primary focus with your sacd playback then the Oppo 93 is a safe bet with your Anthem, having said that, if the best of both worlds and SOTA player is what your after( ESS Sabre Dac's are at the top of the pile) , then the Oppo 95 is killer on multi channel sacd via its analog outs! I feed my Anthem avm20 the analog outs from the 95 both 7.1 and 2 channel xlr. You owe it to yourself to research this well, I replaced a Denon 5900 universal player and Pioneer 51fd with the 95, properly setup using the FL/FR quad heaping of the Ess Sabre dac's for the main channels, the 95 bested all three regardless of format being played back. The 95 is also outstanding playing back usb hi rez files. bottom line the 95 is the highend multi channel sacd player your looking for !