What cheap dacs are there with volume controls?

Hi there, i am looking for a dac for my bestfriend. He is going straight out of his PC for music but i want to be able to hook up his dvd player and need a volume.

Im thinking 500 would be my max used...

Thanks

Toby
128x128systembuilder
I have two of the Citypulse Dacs.They are affordable,sound great,can be found used,and have high quality remote volume pots.
Sfar is right the CA Dacmagic does not have volume control so it won't fit Systembuilder's requirements. My mistake. It is a really nice sounding DAC though IMO with the Pangea P100 PS.
If you can spend $625-650 the Benchmark DAC1 will beat out the others mentioned here. I had the Beresford before I moved up to the Benchmark and I've also heard the Cambridge.
HI DG:

Just curious. I originally purchased the Beresford to give me headphone capability and would up with a decent DAC as well. What additional did the Benchmark do ... or do better ... etc.

Rich
Rar1 - I also have owned both the Benchmark and the Beresford, the Benchmark first. It's a wonderful, versatile DAC that seemed completely transparent in my system. I sold it in a fit of misguided frugality and later bought the Beresford on the recommendation of a local dealer.

I can't really say I prefer one or the other, the Benchmark may have had more detail but the Beresford sounds really good, is about as versatile as the Benchmark and costs far less. The DAC I'm using in my main system now is a Simaudio Moon 100D and I like the sound of it better than either the Benchmark or the Beresford at half the price of the Benchmark but double that of the Beresford, and it doesn't have a headphone amp or volume control.

DAC's seem to be where a lot of the R&D is going on now and there are so many options out there it's overwhelming. I have an Aune miniDAC SE in my office that cost $160 shipped from China and I think it sounds as good as the Beresford, beautifully built, too, but no volume control.

I've ordered a new model Aune for $200 that adds optical input and volume control to the model I now have but haven't heard it yet. If it's at least as good as the one I now have it'll be a real bargain. I think I also have a Nuforce USB DAC in a box somewhere, I'm beginning to lose track.