Best Way To Archive Vinyl On My PC

I have a metric $#%&load of vinyl that I'd like to archive on my PC. The native sound card has to go. I already have the PC-to-stereo big rig connection in place, and it functions. Now, I'd like to stereo-to-PC, so I can play all the vinyl using my good TT, into my PC. It looks like there's a movement afoot to go to PCI E sound cards. My current PC has only PCI sockets, so maybe USB is the way to go. I'm not sure. I'll probably go FLAC, WAV, etc. if I can find the space. Right now, all my tunes are high-bitrate MP3s, or M4As.

Any advice on this?
licoricepizza
Licoricepizza, I'm glad you are enjoying the music and get an idea of what a recording from the Korg sounds like in 16/44.1 redbook resolution. good luck with your archiving journey....like all nice trips, it's no fun until you start!

Peace, GH

Licorice, for the record: none of my post's indicated that I recommended anything that I used to download vinyl. Archive is too sophisticated a word to describe what I've done.

Now I'm going to describe what I will do in order to archive my vinyl. The Benchmark ADC1 USB A-to-D converter with USB is what I'll use. Benchmark's UltraLock clock system insures the audio will never get contaminated with jitter-induced artifacts from a poor-quality computer based clock. This unit is capable of streaming at rates up to 96KHZ/24 bit without installing any drivers.

I will also purchase a reference quality cartridge with the intention of selling it back after I've finished archiving my vinyl. The best rig will insure the best sound I've ever heard.

This is a very important thread and ALL of the options available should be posted for others who want to archive their vinyl.
Hey guys:

I did not have much time, so only able to generally scan the mails above, but really enjoyed the thread!! I also have a few thousand LPs and decided I wanted to archive them since I have very little time to play vinyl with a house full of kids. After spending some time on computer audiophile I also purchased the Benchmark ADC1 A to D converter and am using Audacity as the recording software (at the recommendation of Benchmark, who was very helpful).

I have learned a few things, and have a couple of questions, so post them here just in case they are helpful:
1. Although I use a PC running Vista, Benchmark recommends Macs since they claim that Windows 7 has a non-defeatable volume control that eats bits. I have no comment on that one.
2. I have queried an audio engineer friend who has recommended a few other software programs (Reaper was high on his list). I have not tried them but am not convinced they would make any sound difference. Any experience there?
3. I am trying a couple different USB cables (the forums are full of comments but would like to judge for myself). Any experience or recommendation?
4. Right now my main question is whether I should run from the phono preamp into my stereo preamp then into the Benchmark, or directly to the Benchmark from the phono preamp? The former allows me to monitor the process on my main system, but the latter should theoretically sound better since it bypasses one device.

For what it is worth I recall that one of the more experienced fellows over at Computer Audiophile recommended exporting to flac at 24/96, so that is what I am doing. Relatively painless (but a bit time consuming).

Result: After much learning and experimenting I finished my first LP. I must admit I was very, very pleased with the result (playing through J River Media Center). I chose not to use any pop removal programs, and ended up not even deleting the slight noise in the silence between tunes (now tracks). It was only slight to begin with and reminded me that it was analogue vinyl after all.

For the completists, since it seems to be relevant to the posts above, my system is an Oracle Delphi V TT, Basis Vector TA, Benz Ruby 3 cart, Cary phono pre through Cary SLP88 pre into an HP with Vista laptop, BAT amp and Wilson Sophia speakers.

Just thought you might be interested in the experience of another would-be archivist, just starting the journey. Thanks for the thread!

Seldenr, after extensive critical listening to the playlist of my vinyl, I've come to the conclusion that any shortcomings are in the original analog domain.

Although I have a large vinyl collection which was the result of natural accumulation before CD, I wasn't into high end audio. Once I got into high end, my analog lagged behind. I've discovered that with my humble A to D conversion rig, the shortcomings are in the analog domain as opposed to the digital. You won't have that problem.

In regard to the "pop removal", mine works very well; but I only use it on records that need it. I would think going directly into the Benchmark will yield the best results. I'm using Windows 7, if non-defeatable volume control is eating bits, it hasn't eaten so many that I can tell the difference.

Your post was highly beneficial, and I'm sure you will get the best results.
Correction on my last post. It won't make any difference whether you run it "line in, line out" on your pre, or direct to the Benchmark. The ability to monitor is a good thing.