Parasound C/BD 2000 Belt Drive CD Transport

Good evening all,

I am using the above CD transport and am very happy with it. My question is, what determines if I can play more than just Red Book CD's? Is it the transport of the DAC? Would I need to add anything to the transport plus an appropriate DAC to play some of the esoteric CD's? Thanks for your response.
rbwinterlink
Good evening Realremo,

Again thanks for taking of your precious time to respond at length. Actually, when my CD transport was developed, there was a DAC that was produced to mate with it. Together they are able to decode HDCD's. The owners manual supports this. I've spent some time looking on Audiogon for this very DAC and have missed at least 2 chances to own one. Presently, I am using a digital cable that is 6 feet long, but I must admit I had no idea the length of the cable had anything to do with the sound. That's great information and I thank you for it.

I decided to get the 72 Lite tube DAC to get a more warm sound. Plus I can roll the tubes to vary the sound which I have done. I have a fairly large collection of Jazz and Classical CD's, all Redbook. Some better than others I might add.

I do wish there was a list somewhere that post the best sounding Redbook CD's. There is a listing of HDCD's that I can order from to include some based on the listening of HP of Absolute Sound. I've not seen any Redbooks on his listing. Again thank you sir for this great information.

bob
The DAC is what decodes HDCD, not the transport. So you can use the same transport to read the HDCD and run that signal digital out into a HDCD Compatible DAC.
Thank you Rockitman,

I had thought the same thing but was not certain. Thanks much.

bob
Realremo, According to DIYHIFI which many do use to purchase parts, etc, and are the home of Lady Day 300b and many other components both kits and factory built sell ready made (75 ohm digital) cable in 2 lengths only 12 inch and 5 meter which are claimed to be the correct lengths. I actually probably had read something somewhere about cable length for digital signal so thought I would order the 12". It actually does seem to make a difference and I have a nice close proximity with transport and dac. Although the 12" is $59 and the 5 meter is $79--not much of a price break for going with foot length. And they are indicating 5 meter not 5 foot-- but you must have heard the 5 somewhere. I am not a cable freak by any means. The only other cable I paid just over 200 for is Kimber Kable speaker wire. Always wanted to try it.
Skiroe, the 1.5m recommendation is a minimum length to avoid possible jitter that the cable itself can add to the signal if it is shorter than 1.5m, there have been many posts and white papers written on this subject, if you do some searches in the audiogon forums you will find plenty of opinions regarding this. I use a 3m Kimber USB cable that is a blend of copper and silver, and the coax that I have is a 1.5m wireworld, also a blend of silver/copper. Total for both was less than $160. Have not compared the sound to cables shorter than 1.5m, so I guess I cannot definitively say that the 1.5m minimum is valid, I am just trusting the opinions of engineers and DAC designers.