What features should a good CD player have?

I currently own a Jolida 100cdp, what features should I evaluate in upgrading? By features I don't mean remote control, but, internal components and/or capabilities.

My price is under 1,500, are there any models that would be recommended?
dvdgreco
If you are going to consider the Benchmark DAC I would insist on an inhome trial/audition and while doing that see if you can even find any improvement with this DAC vs. your existing CDP running direct in a double blind test. Not a different sound, but an improvement. My guess is that you'll have a DAC but you won't end up with an improvement in sound quality. You can run the analog output of your CDP to your preamp and the digital output to the Benchmark and then the benchmark to the preamp. Have it volume matched and listen back and forth for a few days, not knowing which input the pre is set to for careful listening. But switch back and forth from time to time.

My point is that you can do a lot better than this DAC for your $1,500, buying used.
What about the Sony XA5400ES? I've seen those go for $806 + $20 in shipping on a popular auction site. I've read those are the real deal in terms of build quality and SQ. Then you can also have Modwright make it even better.
what are your criteria for excellence of sound ?

is your desire to possibly replace the jolida based upon build qaulity or deficiencies of sound ?
i am not sure the jolida has deficiencies, but iam switching to a herron preamp and it may expose some deficiences??
Ahh, that is a nice preamp. I would wait and get the preamp first before making any decisions.

I would be tempted to take any other source, DVD player, Ipod, whatever and listen to both that and the Jolida via the Herron to get a better feel for the warmth imparted by the Herron vs. the source/Jolida. This may help you make a better decision if you do decide to replace the Jolida - whether you will seek more warm or more resolution in your next player/DAC.

The Herron definitely outclasses the Jolida in my mind, but I don't know their CDPs as well as their amps.