What features should a good CD player have?

I currently own a Jolida 100cdp, what features should I evaluate in upgrading? By features I don't mean remote control, but, internal components and/or capabilities.

My price is under 1,500, are there any models that would be recommended?
dvdgreco
solid, reliable and available transport mechanism - Phillips CDM-Pro2 for example - those drives last a LONG time

analog volume control if you only use CD as a source - in some systems bypassing a preamp is a HUGE plus

also agree on the digital input feature
If your buying decision is based on features and specs you will be disappointed with your purchase.
Power supply
Disc drive assembly/Transport mechanism
Analog circuitry

Having owned a lot of CDP with digital inputs and volume control, I can tell you with a high degree of confidence that at $1,500 (even used) you will not find one that is going to be that good. One with an analog volume control is going to be even harder to find at this price point. If you really want to take this route, start by adding $1,000 to your price then look for a Levinson 39, 39S or possibly a 390. Double your price and you can probably get into a 390S.

On the otherhand, you should be able to find a pretty good CDP without digital inputs and without volume control that is very good at this price point.

Personally, I would recommend an Esoteric (at this price level you are looking at a DV-50). But my concern with recommending that is due to the fact that you have a Jolida and as a result, I am assuming you are looking for something on the warm side (versus detailed or highly resolving).

Maybe you should consider getting a used DAC at this price point.
If the Jolida has digital out, get a benchmark dac and a good digital cable. You will eventualy get a music server and will then already have the dac and good a digital cable and didn't just invest in a cd player.
why not just check out some of the mod Wright Sony's that pop up now and then...