Bargain Basement, Giant Killing DACs for PC Audio

As I continue to upgrade my PC based systems, I am fascinated to see how certain DACs somehow retain considerable value for many years.

Because one might think that DACs are more vulnerable to depreciation and obscelesence than say, speakers or amplifiers.

Since this digital landscape changes quickly, perhaps this thread might become popular for a quick update on the latest, GIANT KILLER DACs.

New or used?

USB DACs or depreciated classic and a SPDIF adapter?

Thanks for your ideas.
cwlondon

Sfar,

Ah - perhaps I didnt realize that I could also use those devices as a "preamp" of sorts, using the front knob as a volume control with the RCA outputs in the back?

In fact, I have a uDAC somewhere in the collection, but had only used it on airplanes with headpones...

Thank you.
Yes, the Nuforce uDAC is a great device for what you describe, it really improves the sound from a laptop while traveling and it takes up almost no space. As a DAC, I wouldn't describe it as a giant killer but it is a real bargain, either as a DAC or a cheap preamp.

I would describe the Aune SE and the Beresford 7520 with the upgraded opamps as giant killers at their prices. I bought the Beresford after my local high-end shop salesman admitted he had a hard time selling any of his more expensive DAC's after customers listened to the Beresford. I'd like to hear some of the new, more expensive DAC's like the Wyred or the Burson but I'm pretty happy with the Beresford for now.
If you are looking primarily for PC audio, I'd suggest going with something that has async USB that can handle hi-res files (24/96 or even better 24/192). Otherwise you could invest in a USB-SPDIF converter, such as the M2Tech HiFace. Musical Fidelity just came out with a USB-SPDIF converter around the same price as the HiFace, and there are more expensive options out there as well.

Under $1000, I don't know of DACs with asynch USB other than the HRT Streamer line. I have tried all of the current models, and liked each one a lot. They are limited to 24/96 though.

Under $1000 without async USB, the below DACs are getting great reviews:
Eastern Electric DAC (you can choose between tube and solid state output. Had this in my system, and thought it was great for the price).
Wyred4Sound DAC1 (had the very similar $1500 DAC 2 in my system and it was only barely edged out by the Weiss DAC2 I currently use).
Rega DAC
Musical Fidelity's new M1 DAC

Audio GD also has a devoted following as well. But not familiar with the different models available at the moment.

A number of these can be bought from online dealers who offer a 30 day or so trial period if you are not able to audition locally.
I like my Rega. Using it to listen to CD's presently, but plan to get a USB/SPDIF adaptor pretty soon. Very musical DAC. I'm rediscovering my CD collection after going with vinyl for a couple of years.
Don't know if you call it a nargain basement dac but it is a GIANT killer and that's the Teddy DAC. Do a search and if you get a chance go hear one, it's just wonderful!