Mark Levinson 37 transport or new cdp today..?

Hi all,

Considering purchasing a dedicated transport for my system, and had in mind a 2nd hand Mark Levinson No.37.

My question is - how does a ML No.37 (given its age) stack up against even something like a Rega Apollo(transport section only) these days? 10 years is a long long time in digital, and I'm wondering if a relatively inexpensive CDP today like the Apollo (as a transport) or another (new) transport would better the older ML No.37?

Budget is a factor for me - I can probably only spend around 1K (maybe $1200USD) used or new, which is why I was thinking of something like an Apollo..

Can anyone provide me with their thoughts pls ? =)

I currently have a Meridian 598 (DVD transport) running (via coax digital) directly into a Meridian 568.2mm. Whilst the Meridian 598 is ok, I've seen a few posts here from people who've own it who've advised it is a bit uninvolving compared to other players. I know for example that even compared to my older, far cheaper, Rega Planet, that, the Meridian 598 seems to lack definite 'involvement'/boogie factor in the music, even considering the Rega is a far far cheaper player.

Wondering if a new source (transport) may be the answer.

Appreciate people's thoughts as to whether older (reference) transports such as Mark Levinson are still worth it today, compared to the transport sections of new 2010 model cd players? (Price considered given my budget =)

Thanks!!

Andrew
rippingtonblue
I still use my ML 37 after 12 years.

A good transport needs to not miss any info on the CD and deliver it in a timely manner to the external DAC.

The ML37 does this in spades.

If you like the "sound" of the ML37 transport, then go for it as I have proved for myself that the unique Mark Levinson "sound" of the transport is coming from its clock circuit. By hooking up my Logitech Transporter to be a slave of the clock signal from the ML37 using a Big Ben audio clock, the Transporter sounded exactly like the ML37.

The only issue I've ever had with the ML37 is when a friend misfed a CD into it and the CD got trapped in the drive-drawer mechanism inside the box. Taking the lid off soon had the problem identified and fixed. Apart from that, nothing has gone wrong with it and it remembers play lists you set up for each disk and other neat tricks like that.

So it is still relevant today even in the ever diminishing world of CD playback.
I don't agree with Rwwear. In the ML37/39/390 CD players the weak link is the drawer mechanism, not the laser. The drawer mechanism gets mistimed easily, and you have to follow ML's procedure to reset it. The open/close drive belt also breaks, stretches, or otherwise need replacement. ML doesn't do in-factory service any longer, but they have authorized service centers that will fix these transports. The 390S isn't that old, and uses the same parts.

I've had my ML39 for over 13 years. It's mechanically identical to the ML37. During that time the drawer was serviced once by the dealer (it was still under warranty), and I've had to reset it several times, but considering how many thousands of discs I've listened to over 13 years the drawer has been pretty good. (On the other hand, the main circuit board had to be replaced two years ago, and that was $1300. It's as good as new, but that'll be the last time I pay to fix it.)

I know ML37s are going for about $1500-1700 right now, and for that sort of money it would be a tough decision. For $1500 you can't get any other transport built like a 37, but electronics over ten years old are often cruising for a failure. I'm not one that believes transports have anything to do with CD sound, so unless you just like the quality feel of the 37 I think you're probably just wasting money.
I'm just generalizing Irv. I have no experience with the ML37. But I do know that ML does not support their older products well and when they do, it can get pricey.
I have the Mark Levinson 31 and it works fine,never had problems,I bought it used about two years ago and the only issue was the remote control.One screw was stripped on the remote cover and the previous owner was unable to change the batteries in the remote control so the old batteries were left for long time and so they leaked and corroded a small part of the board making the play button non functioning.I managed to fix the screw but never got around to getting the control button fixed,one I will.The transport itself is phenomenal.they DONT make them that beefy anymore.It's just one piece of fine engineering and who knows how much they would charge for one in todays market.
Regards
George
Rwwear, since your statement that Levinson does not support their older products directly contradicts my personal experience, how did you come to the conclusion that they don't? Have you ever owned a Levinson product?