Anyone tried the Benchmark

If you go to Benchmark's website they have a suggested complete system for computer server based music which consists of the DAC-1 fed into a pair of Dynaudio BM5A powered monitors and with a pair of Senn HD650 headphones for private listening.

I'm in the process of revamping my entire system. I'm coming from a CD source and tube integrated amp into floor standing speakers. I just can't listen to my old system like I used to and probably need a desktop system with headphone option. Benchmark's suggested system sounds like it might be perfect for my needs, but it's just so different from what I am used to.

Can anyone here recommend this combo (DAC-1 + BM5A/HD650)? Or maybe you have alternate suggestion(s)?

Thanks,
Mike
jmp15
I use the Benchmark DAC 1 with headphones and the results are superb, IMO - great transparency and dynamics, crystal clear and not bright or etched. I'm using it with a transport, not a server, and in this set-up a good transport and fine digital cable make all the difference.

With a server, I assume you'll use the USB input on the Benchmark, and all the reviews say the Benchmark has an excellent implementation of the USB - better, e.g., than the Bryston dac and some others.

(NOTE: I meant to title this thread "Anyone tried the Benchmark "Complete System" but the last part somehow got cut off.)

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. Sounds like the Benchmark system is for people who like clarity and neutrality in their sound reproduction. Rhmmmm's review gives me some pause, though. Since I'm coming from an integrated tube amp I'm worried that I will have the same overall impression of thinness. Then again I've never had a good solid-state set-up, so it's possible that the increased clarity and definition will be a new kind of revelation for me. I will never know unless I take the plunge and try it for myself.

The other system I am looking at is the Cary Xciter DAC and integrated tube amp, but after I add a pair of decent bookshelf speakers and the HD650s I would be well over my price limit. For simplicity and affordability the Benchmark system looks to be my best option at the moment. But, I've been know to flip-flop on these sort of decisions. Keep the recommendations coming, please!

Thanks,
-Mike
You can always try out the Benchmark. The upside is that it has decent resale value and you won't lose much, especially if you buy used to begin with. If you like it, that's great because they are not super expensive.

I've had a few headphones in the same category as the HD650's, such as the Sony MDR-CD3000 and SA5000, the AKG K701 and some Beyerdynamics. The 650's remain my favorite so far, just make sure you burn them in for a LONG time as they did not sound that great out-of-the-box. In fact, I almost returned them in the beginning. I don't want to try the HD800's because I'd probably have to pick up a pair if I do, so I'm content in my ignorant bliss.
Enough people seem to love the HD650s that I'm willing to bet that I will like them, too, especially since I have never owned a high-end pair of headphones.

I believe Benchmark offers a 30 day trial period, so as long as I can burn the equipment in well at the outset I should have more than ample time to figure out if it's for me, or if I need to keep saving my pennies for a Cary rig.
BTW, one more thing FWIW: Wes Phillips in Stereophile used the Benchmark DAC1 as his DAC/headphone amp in his review a few months back of one of the expensive headphones - could have been the Sennheiser 800.