why does digital volume control cause loss in info

I have been trying to understand why controlling volume in the digital domain means that sonic information gets lost. Obviously, I'm not super techincal, but I'm not totally lacking in technical understanding. Can someone give me a straightforward explanation, or point me to a reasonably easy to understand reference?

Thanks!

--dan
dgaylin
It doesn't. Digital volume control is commonly implemented using a module that is essentially a digitally controlled stepped attenuator. The signal is analog. The notion of "dropping bits" is pure myth.
Eldartford is referring to an analog volume control that is controlled by digitally operated motor. It's used to provide remote control capability and it doesn't suffer from bit loss, since the volume control is complete in the analog domain. A true digital volume control can suffer from bit loss. IT IS NOT A MYTH! The amount of and its audibility depends on the implementation.

Here's Wadia's explanation of how digital volume controls work.
Hi Onhwy61. Thanks. I've read Wadia's explanation, and didn't get it. In simple terms why do you drop a bit to attenuate the volume digitally?