Sony SCD-XA5400ES-Best SACD for under $10,000

This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for under $10,000. The Sony blows it away!!!
A unit costing $1500 besting all others under $10,000? That is exactly what it does!
For reference, I am using Audio Research electronics and Vandersteen speakers and subwoofers (about $30,000); a similar system has repeatedly been lauded as "best of show" at CES, so we are NOT talking second-rate stuff here.
This Sony is the only SACD/Cd player I have EVER heard that puts a classical piano live in my living room; nothing I ever had before even comes close.
This unit is a small miracle. I would have gladly paid $8000 for it, but if they want to give the thing away for $1500, who am I to argue?
This unit is going to send the engineers at Audio Research, Luxman, Esoteric, and Ayre back to the drawing board; their current units at 4 to 5 times the price are not even close. Some engineer at Sony is a freaking genius!!!
wa6itd
hi kal:

consider the food analogy.

if you prefer a dish with a certain flavor, you don't tate it without that flavor. rather, you ask for the flavor.

in audio, if you prefer the flavor of tubes, there is no need to listen to the stock player before sending it out for modification.
I think the analogy does you a disservice in that it clearly implies applying that particular color/flavor before tasting the dish.

Kal
aqua_bleu_one 88.7% Positive feedback formerly ("Papi Chulo"), on E-bay is still ripping folks off, for one simple reason...
Greed. And the "subjective" truth.
Audio is so much "subjective", the correct written review, of
a product, sends the Audio world running like the "bulls" in Spain.

The Sony 5400ES is such a player,it got a few "flowery" reviews, and the next thing you know, 4 pages later, and folks are still arguing that it is the greatest Sony Player ever made. NOT!

Sadly, my XA-7ES, simply walks away, when it comes to making "music", the 5400ES, is ALL "hype", but as I said, let a few people "blow smoke up your butt", and you start thinking, "maybe there is some truth to all the talk".

aqua_bleu_one(a.k.a. Papi Chulo) still manages to get idiots to fork over funds often in excess of $180k, in 12 months, 9 Negative feedback,3 in the last 6 months, 1 in the last MONTH! Why would any human risk sending a dime to this crook?

The "chance" of possibly owning a piece of Audio, that is "touted" as awesome!

I know a guy that is guilty of buying a 5400ES, only to be so pissed off, he is beyond the ability, to write of his shame, from listening to the "hype".

He fell for it when Adcom first came on the scene, I bought an ES integrated amplifier, that laid waste to his Adcom.

He tried to drive 16ohm Electro-Voice speakers, the Adcom shut down, my Sony drove them with ease. But Adcom, was claimed to be the greatest thing since "sliced bread".
The Sony ES integrated amp. is still going strong.

If Audio, was "objective", he would have never fell victim to the "hype", I tried to warn him, he even admitted my XA-7ES sounded better, (actually that is what was the last straw) when a product is Newer, by over 10 years, you expect it to sound better, WRONG! Not in Audio.

If we were talking cars, and speed, that is "objective" a Saleen Mustang, will smoke a Stock Mustang, no surprise there, but Audio, is not at ALL "objective", most people will weave a clever tale, about a piece of equipment to sell it, knowing full well, it is not ALL they say it is.

2 well known magazines, have sold zillions of issues, pushing stuff that failed to live up to what they claimed it was. Why?

Because many Audiophiles, are "greedy", and are always thinking that "the grass is greener", instead of being satisfied with what they have.

Everyone in this forum, has sold something that they wished they had back.

But they "heard" this, or that, is the "bomb", so they rushed out, and sucked it up, only to be very upset.

I like ladies to listen to stuff, because they rarely lie.
Most, just call it as they hear it.

We compared my XA-7 to the venerable 5400, and the ladies, were in 100% agreement, the XA-7 just made "music", the 5400 is just, well... the last player Sony sent us. Sorry.

Listen with your "ears" instead of with your "eyes", and you will enjoy music much more.

I hate seeing a grown man cry.

Oh, and my Marantz SA-11S2 with the Level 2 Underwood Mods.
is in another league all together.No comp.

I Love Music!
hi kal:

if i want sauteed garlic on my broccoli there is no need to taste the broccoli if it has not been sauteed in garlic.

with respect to the cd player, if i want a tube flavor, and i realize that a cd player has no tubes, there is no reason to listen to the player. ss and tubes do not sound the same.
Your analogy suggests because you like sauteed garlic on your broccoli, you'll put sauteed garlic on everything, like on chocolate and ice cream, before tasting them first without garlic. Yuck.