Treble Grain? How to Eliminate?

I've had a DacMagic for about a year now, using it mostly with USB input. I recently began using it in a headphone system and am noticing that this dac exhibits a high amount of grain in the treble. It makes for some heavy listening fatigue. Is there anything I can do to improve this? What other dacs under $1000 have a notably smooth treble?

Thanks
jwglista
move the switch to the other side on the 200... it's underneath the box and hard to move as it's recessed.

Try another wall wart/power supply for the DAC.

Try another pc on the 200.

Past that the MHD DACs go rapidly here so if you don't like.. sell it.

Lavery Eng makes very musical sounding DACs and I think they still will allow a 30 day home demo... not sure if they've gotten around to USB & headphone though.

headroom also might be an option. I hear much good about those folks products.
Do you have ANY OTHER DAC's to compare with? From friends? See if you can observe this phenomenon with another DAC. I would agree about the MHDT...very reasonably priced for performance. ESPECIALLY if purchased used.
My guess: It's jitter on the USB input. The measurements in the recent Stereophile review of the DacMagic confirm this:

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/cambridge_audio_azur_dacmagic_da_converter/index2.html

Their conclusion: "...its USB input is really of only utility quality and shouldn't be used for serious listening."

Jitter results in frequency modulation that can present itself as shrillness in the treble. I can tell you that, when I addressed jitter in my system (with a reclocker), my high frequency nasties improved dramatically.

Good luck!