Modwright Transporter VS Opera Droplet 5.0 CDP.

I have heard the Droplet 5.0 and like it very much. It is now is available with a coaxial digital input designed to go with a new 24/96 streaming product from the same company called the Digital Box 1.0. With these two products linked you end up with a streaming solution not unlike what the MWT offers.

The main similarities are between them as I see it are - 24/96 streaming, tube based output, true balanced connections, and price.

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has heard both the Droplet 5.0 (with or without a streaming device attached) and also heard the MWT. My only interest is to know which sounds better as both systems are almost identical in what they offer. Thanks for any help.
chillinimrod
Did you try the Audiocircle Modwright threads? Try posting your question there.

here's a fairly recent thread with limited comparisons of the MWTP to Vinyl.
Chillinimrod, I've owned both the components you're looking at. My honest advice to you is to buy an Audio Note DAC - more musical than either and by a wide margin IMO.
AN is a nice dac but 5K doesn't justify its price IMHO.

The biggest question you have to ask yourself is:
do you want you PC to be a lone digital source
or integration of both: computer music files and red book CDs?

For the PC only setup, I would recommend Empirical Audio battery powered re-clocker with the bast DAC you can afford (most inexpensive DACs sound to edgy and forward to my taste) with features and options best suited for your system.

If CD playback is still important to you, adding quality transport to above setup would give you "best" of both words. IMO

Mariusz
Where are you getting $5K?

My AN Kits DAC 2.1C Sig cost me a bit over $2K. Yes, you have to build it, but I am pretty sure there are AN factory DACs under $5K.

I feed my DAC with a Mac Mini going through an Empirical Off Ramp. This gives me 18/96 capability.

If you are going to go with a hard drive transport, there is certainly no reason at all to keep a CD transport around.
2.1 with Audio Note Hi-B balanced C-core output transformers + upgraded parts and labor.
If you can build it, substantially less. (you are right about DIY kit but should mentioned many options which can be utilize into design)
Am I wrong?

Also - Response Audio (or now Bella Extreme) offers finish AN products with customized options. I am not sure about latest pricing but I do not think that I was to far of the mark.

As to the other part of your post - agreed.

Best
Mariusz