Mcintosh Separates...

Hi Folks,

I am considering a Mac C220 pre amp and an MC 252 power amp to match it to from my dealer. Is this a good upgrade from an MA 6500 integrated that I've loved/owned? My dealer says separates are better sonically than the integrated. I want to believe him, but I also hear integrateds have come a LONG way! So, please share your ideas/thoughts on this, and what advantages I could expect by upgrading. Many thanks...Brian.
128x128trumpetbri
IMHO the current Mac MA series of integrateds would give nothing up to the 220/252 combo you are considering.
I suggest that you talk to your dealer about a home demo so you can compare whether or not the 220/250 combo is a worthwhile upgrade from your 6500 integrated. That will tell you much more, than any advice any of us could offer.
in the world of ss mcintosh, the autoformer models generally 'sound' like a true upgrade over the models that don't have them.
I agree with Jaybo I have owned many Mc amps in the past and the models w/autoformers far exceed the performance of those without. As a side note a recent thread here asked about the 252 vs. the 402 and you may want to look at a used 402 before you buy or if you can buy the new 402. The double balanced circuitry quiets the noise floor, the 252 does not have this circuitry. Just an opinion of course.