Wadia 170i/DAC combo with AudioEngine speakers

I use AudioEngine A2 and A5 speakers with an Ipod as a portable stereo system that sounds pretty good on vacation. Very decent sound for a lake cabin or out on a pontoon boat with a power pack (using the A2s, not the A5s). In my opinion, the Ipod/A5 combo fills a lake cabin living room with very adequate sound.

I've never heard an Ipod through a 170i/DAC combination. The references I've read tend to focus on a primary home system. My question is this: Is an 170i/DAC combination overkill if you're using the AudioEngine A5 speakers? The Ipod/A5 combo sounds pretty good and is affordable. Is it worth adding the 170i/DAC combo to this "system"?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
lrdmax
Richlane,

Thanks. Your answer is the kind of information I was looking for. It sounds like the addition of the 170i and a decent DAC will result in a sonic improvement. At least it sounds like it's worth a try.
To get the most out of the Wadia you need an exceptional external DAC. Using the Wadia just as a dock IS indeed overkill and you'll be as happy with a Cambridge or something like that.

I've got the Audioengine speakers and the Wadia, but use the Wadia in my main system, feeding it through a SOTA DAC with exceptional results. If you've got a great DAC laying around, then it'll be very nice. The AE speakers are up to the task, but if you have to buy a high quality DAC for the pontoon boat, then that's probably overkill.

Dave
I own and love the A5 but returned the A2. Prefer M-Audio model 40 (might be called AV40) over the A2. Amazon sells them around $150 shipped last I checked. The A2 sounds strained to me compared to A5 or the M-Audio. A5 is warmer and more robust than the M-Audio model.

I use computer as source for A5's and M-Audio. Switched to Devilsound DAC (Latest model, USB to RCA) from using the computer sound card, and it is a VERY audible improvement.

Art