Back to Square One

I'll make a long story short. Thanks to some car repairs since September I've shot my disposable income for the year. Still need a pair of speakers too because when I was just about to buy a pair my car needed a new engine.

Have looked at the DIY concept but have become very discouraged with the attitude of some of the people. Many have an elitist attitude that ANY commercial offering is junk and pales in comparison to any home built speaker or speaker kit. In light of this I don't entirely trust some of the advice I am getting from those people on another forum.

At this point I think I can scrape up around $400 again by May if nothing else happens to cause me to be out 4 grand or $1500 at a shot. I figure I can still get a decent speaker for up to $400 and be content until at some point when I can build a DIY kit or find a better commercial offering.

1) My current Jamo C 601's sound fine but need to be placed 24 inches from the back wall to give the right sound stage. I need something that can be placed right up against the back wall or perhaps a few inches off.

2) Need a speaker with a mellow high end. Nothing bright. Like a nice soundstage and good detail. Bass does not need to be heavy. Just want to hear it.

3) Prefer a bookshelf speaker though may consider a small tower if it is light weight.

4) Will be using a Qinpu A3 integrated amp and also a Dayton DTA 120 solid state integrated amp. 50 wpc into 8 ohms.

5) Room size is 14 by 12 with a 9 foot ceiling. Hardwood floors too. Thus the need for a mellow speaker.

Was thinking the Boston Acoustics A 25 might work. Read a couple of reviews that said it can be placed up against the wall and still sound decent.

Any other ideas. I am open to suggestions.
will62
Maplegrovemusic. Yes, I am planning on doing something along these lines. Thanks for reinforcing this idea as being the best route. Two pairs of speakers are in the cards since I will have two different systems in separate rooms. Will purchase speakers that are soncially different from one another. That way certain recordings that don't sound right on one, should work well on the other pair of speakers.
If you're not opposed to "vintage" speakers, have a look at the pair of Design Acoustics ps-10s on the eauction site. There's a pair with new woofer surrounds (common) listed for less than 150. I use a pair in my business office and feel they're one of the most fun and best value speakers I've used. I even tried them out in my Mc and CJ based system at home and they performed great. Can be placed right up against the wall, have a nice, smooth (tweeter adjustible) top end, and plenty of tight bass with the 10" sealed downfiring woofer. If you hate them, you could sell them for what you paid. Their depreciation bottomed out and always seem to sell for $100-200.
If you could stretch your budget to about $500.00, a used pair of GoldenEar Aon 2s would be ideal for your needs.
Another suggestion would be a used pair of the amazing Silverline Minuet Supreme Pluses.

Both the Diamond 10.1 and the SP-BS21s or 22s are excellent choices $400.00 and under.
If you are anticipating an speaker upgrade when finances allow, I would go with the Pioneer sp22s for now. A very pleasing sound at a price that will allow for savings to be set aside for the future.
I suggest you read this review from Absolute Sound about the $400/pair Infinity Primus P363 compact floorstanders.

Although the review mentions that street price is around $300/pair, in my own searches, for the most part they seem to be holding steady at around $400/pair. If they're as good as TAS says they are, that's still quite a good deal.

They are 39.5" tall with a footprint of 8.25"w x 13"d. That's about the size of a mini-monitor on a stand, but in this case you get a twin woofer 3-way, making for a claimed 93dB sensitivity and 38Hz bass extension. Available as close as your local Best Buy.