Maggie Disappointment

Not trying to bash my local rep, so I won't list where I live. Just wondering anyone's thoughts/experiences with Magnepan.

I listened to MG's about 12 years ago and was smitten, but the wife said no (small house). Now, bigger house, older kids, better pay...I'm thinking it is finally time. I listened to the 1.7 at our dealer; awesome. I even upgraded my amp to 250Watts a month ago thinking I would be moving to Maggies, and know they have a need for power.

But when I asked for a home demo from my rep(need to insure they work in my room, insure the wife is OK with them), I was told no.

Called Magnepan, as they have a deal to let people try them for 30days in areas without dealers. They'll even give you $100 to try them. But since I live in an area with a dealer, I was told no. Even talked to the marketing manager...still no.

I now just have a bad feeling about these. Very disappointed.

Thoughts? Suggestions on alternatives?
lisaandjon
used: this is my preference, yes. But most are local pickup only.

I suppose I could pay new and hope the dealer will refund if I want to return. I'll ask about this.

Thanks all.

IMO, I wouldn't consider Meadowlark's to be an upgrade. Frankly, I think my Joseph RM22's are better than those.
The critical piece of advice above is to clarify the dealer's return policy in advance. If it's not printed on the sales slip, have them write it on and both parties initial it. Pay with a credit card. If you comply with the terms and they give you any grief, your cc company will handle it for you.
Call Magnepan back and explain the dealer's unwillingness to accommodate what they themselves offer via their own website. They should allow you the home trial and if you keep the 1.7s then they can pay the dealer the margin. If you return them, Magnepan is not in any worse shape than their website offers, and the dealer has no risk or reward. If you are in Charlotte NC by some chance, I have a pair of 1.6s you could try with a security deposit!
Don't call them again. Wait a few days so that the incident is not still fresh in their minds. Then have someone you know, that doesn't have a local dealer order them for you.